Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter need cleaning?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter need cleaning?

New pool filled up approx end of Dec.....does the filter need cleaning yet? Or do I need to backwash....whatever that is :-/
    20,000 Freeform IG Gunite,Gray Plaster,Tanning Ledge w 2 Bubblers, 8f tRaised Spa with 8 jets,Fiber Optic-3 ft Sheer Decent, 1 ft Sheer Decent, Intellibrites, 2 HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 1 HP Jandy pump, 340 Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure Salt System, 2-1HP Blowers....and promised but not yet delivered Rheem 105 BTU Heat Pump/Chiller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter need cleaning?

You don't need to clean your filter until the pressure goes up about 10 psi from whatever the reading was when the filter was clean. You have a cartridge filter, so there is no backwash, just open up the filter housing to remove and clean the cartridges. That's a good sized filter you have, it probably will only need cleaning once a season or so.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

I cleaned mine after it was built at about the first and second month just to get rid of the fine plaster dust that builds up quickly. Each time it was caked with dust. Not sure if you should leave the dust for a long period of time.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

4. Back To Top    #4

You have a cartridge filter, which does [edit] NOT [/edit] get backwashed. Instead you clean the filter by turning off the pump, opening up the filter housing, removing the cartridge, washing it off throughly with a garden hose, and then putting everything back together again.

As guamguy said, the filter pressure is the best indication of when the filter needs cleaning. You should have noted down the filter pressure when the system was first installed and clean the filter when it goes up by about 1/3 from there. If you didn't note the starting filter pressure, you might as well clean the cartridge now, and then note the filter pressure when the cleaned filter is first used again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You have a cartridge filter, which does get backwashed.
    I know Jason did not mean to say it, but for newbies, the cartridge filters DO NOT get backwashed.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

6. Back To Top    #6

benavidescj, thanks for catching my word slip No backwashing for cartridges.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

ok....don't laugh! I took all my pool specs from my PB's email...not sure which piece of equipment out there is the cartridge filter thingy..I will post pics of all the equipment so you can help me ID...also so I can make sure the specs match the photos. The specs he gave me were early on in the project.

Thanks
    20,000 Freeform IG Gunite,Gray Plaster,Tanning Ledge w 2 Bubblers, 8f tRaised Spa with 8 jets,Fiber Optic-3 ft Sheer Decent, 1 ft Sheer Decent, Intellibrites, 2 HP Jandy Stealth Pump, 1 HP Jandy pump, 340 Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy Aquapure Salt System, 2-1HP Blowers....and promised but not yet delivered Rheem 105 BTU Heat Pump/Chiller

8. Back To Top    #8

You can take a look at the visual encyclopedia to get an idea of what the various components look like. If you post a picture we will be happy to explain.