Heat pump/chiller.... Have &have not

Sep 15, 2010
South Mississippi
The last thing my PB(brother n law) owes me is my heat pump/chiller.....we've been heating the spa(a lot) & pool (few times) with the buried propane tank(rather expensive when pool is heated)- how much savings will I see when the heat pump is installed? Does it work in conjunction w the propane gas?

Heat pumps are best at keeping the pool warm all the time. They usually heat very slowly compared to propane. Heat pumps run on electricity. How the price comparison works out depends on the costs of electricity and propane in your area. In must of the US heat pumps are cheaper, but in area with high electric rates, such as much of California, it tends to be the other way around (ie propane is less expensive). In your area I assume the heat pump will be less expensive, possibly by as much as a factor of two or even three, though I don't know the exact rates in your area so I can't be sure.

Not too far away from you here in Louisiana (New Orleans to be exact) and I can say for sure you'll see considerable savings using a heat pump over propane. The difference between gas (natural or propane) is that you are burning fuel to create heat and you're doing so at a very poor ratio of dollars to BTUs. On the other hand a heat pump is taking a small amount of electricity to "rob" heat from the air and apply to the pool water.

Disclaimer: I'm a AquaCal heat pump dealer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.