Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused: I've been advised...

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused: I've been advised...

I'm in the process of renovating my in ground 20x40 concrete pool. It was built in 1971 and has two skimmers, however one was disconnected years ago and the pool has been operating fine on one (closest to house middle of pool). It seems to collect most of the surface debris with no problem. I don't get a lot of stuff in my pool, but I still have to clean the skimmer once a day in the spring and fall. In the summer, I clean it once every couple days.

Here is my dilemma: One company suggests to put in only one skimmer, as the second one is overkill, and since my pool has been running fine with one, why spend the extra $$$. The other company suggests to put both skimmers in since the pool was designed to have two. The extra skimmer will cost me about $2500 after parts, new lines, taxes, etc (that's the price around here). I trust both companies.

Question: Is the extra $2500 worth it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My lovely money pit = 1971 20x40 ft Concrete pool. 2008 Hayward SuperPump 1.25 HP. 2010 Hayward 244T Sand Filter. 2011 Skimmer (1) Returns (3) with 2011 plumbing in series. 2009 Rheem P-M336 Digital Gas Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused: I've been advised...

If the one skimmer is doing the job adequately then I see no reason to add the second one. However, if you ever needed the second one it's most likely going to cost more to add it then than to add it now.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the one visible in the last pic the working one (center of long side)? That is where we retrofitted a skimmer onto our 1946 20'x40' steel pool in the 1960's. It worked great with just the one for another 40 years. Major advantage would be splitting the crud between two baskets, IMHO. Is that worth $2500?
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ya Durk! Thats the current operating skimmer. It's not exactly center, more like 40/60 on the long side of the pool, but close enough. I've been reading that having more than one skimmer can cause "dead spots"

Does yours have any dead spots with one skimmer?
    My lovely money pit = 1971 20x40 ft Concrete pool. 2008 Hayward SuperPump 1.25 HP. 2010 Hayward 244T Sand Filter. 2011 Skimmer (1) Returns (3) with 2011 plumbing in series. 2009 Rheem P-M336 Digital Gas Heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I put two in because my plans called for it. My uncle has the same size pool (20 x40) with one skimmer and his works fine. I would pass on the extra skimmer.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!

For $2500, I'd be willing to save that money and spend a little extra time with the skimmer net and vacuum

However, in your other post you said that you were replacing the deck and tapping into the other skimmer wouldn't cost anywhere near $2500 Even if the other skimmer has a shot body, 2.5K sounds awfully expensive to replace and replumb it. Maybe I'm missing something important.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!!

For $2500, I'd be willing to save that money and spend a little extra time with the skimmer net and vacuum

However, in your other post you said that you were replacing the deck and tapping into the other skimmer wouldn't cost anywhere near $2500 Even if the other skimmer has a shot body, 2.5K sounds awfully expensive to replace and replumb it. Maybe I'm missing something important.
    hehe... I think i only broke out the skimmer net once in the last two years! THANK GOD!

Ya, I'm replacing the deck with pavers! The one skimmer, in the corner of the pool, is currently disconnected. It was connected in series when it was built, but due to a leak it was disconnected. I have no idea how efficient it is when its working. I only know the current efficency with the centre skimmer. Its pretty much center along the 40ft (its actually 36ft) and uses the new pipe i layed down two years ago. Both installers would rather put the skimmers on separate lines to ensure equal suction if I go with two skimmers.

The cost $2500 basically breaks down to the parts, labour, trenching about 45 ft to the filter, replacing the piping, and tax etc. Yes it is expensive, but prices up here in Canada are a lot higher

If i choose to only go with one skimmer, I have to fill the hole of the unused skimmer and re-tile.

Whatcha think?

8. Back To Top    #8

Whatcha think?
    I think I should have kept going north once I hit Maine

How much will they charge you to permanently seal and retile over the other skimmer? Please takr that into account when deciding on this.

I'd bet that the majority of that price is the labor (labour :P ) for the trench and if you dig the trench for them, the price would come down dramatically You could also do any other trenching yourself and save even more $$. Pool dudes know that times are hard and will often subtract some $ if you do certain things yourself - it's well worth looking into
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ma3875
    Ya Durk! Thats the current operating skimmer. It's not exactly center, more like 40/60 on the long side of the pool, but close enough. I've been reading that having more than one skimmer can cause "dead spots"

Does yours have any dead spots with one skimmer?
    Never any dead spots on the old pool. That pool was built with 4 returns, one in each corner, and that seemed to move everything around pretty well. My new pool has two skimmers and I have more of a problem in one corner on this one, probably due to the fact that all the returns are at the other end.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

10. Back To Top    #10

The renovations are finished!! We decided on going with one skimmer and 3 returns. With the upgraded return lines, the water pressure moves the surface debris very efficiently. No dead spots.

Thanks for all your help!

11. Back To Top    #11

Glad to hear all is fixed and you are ready for a Trouble Free summer
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

12. Back To Top    #12

I was about to add I have a 44,000 gallon pool with the skimmer in almost the worst spot it could be, and my pool is clean. During the spring I have to net a ton of stuff off the surface (my pool is so old I can't use any return side stuff to clean) but other than that, it works. If the skimmer were in the proper spot, it would cut my work by 90%, but even then it's not bad.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!