AGP variable speed pump? and other AGP equipment

Puffin

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Metro Atlanta, Georgia
I've been trying to learn everything I can about pools before buying one. I've notice that it seems some equipment is for labeled above ground pools and some is for labeled for in ground pools. I didn't realize the equipment needed to be different.

Are there variable speed pumps for above ground pools? Or are they just not really needed? ie, two speed pump is sufficient for energy savings and pool needs.

This led me think about what are the other differences (aside from the obvious one is on ground one is in ground =). Ultimately to post my questions here. Are there special AGP versions of Filters, SWG, heaters etc...? What kind of timers do you use for AGP's are they the same for in ground?

It's just a marketing thing. You can use an "inground" piece of equipment on and above ground pool. The only thing you have to watch for is when trying to use a above ground pump on and inground pool. They sometimes require a flooded suction and therefore won't work on an inground pool.

Pumps are not fully interchangeable. There are two main differences between above ground pools and in-ground pools. For an above ground pool you normally have very short plumbing runs, so you normally want a low head or medium head pump. Above ground pumps are also normally below the water line, so the pump can be manually priming. In ground pools typically use much longer plumbing runs so they require medium head or high head pumps. They are also normally above the water line, so they have to be self priming. You can use a self priming pump below the water line, but you can't use a manually priming pump above the water line. You can use a medium head pump with long or short plumbing runs, but you don't want to use a low head pump for long plumbing runs or a high head pump for short plumbing runs.

All of the variable speed pumps I know about are high head pumps, which are not suitable for use with short plumbing runs.

Reactions: Geminisq
There is also a difference in the motors. Above ground pool pumps use 48 frame motors while in-ground pool pumps use 56 frame motors. Hence a 1 HP above ground pool pump has less "power" than an in-ground pool pump.

There is also a difference between a 2 speed pump and variable speed pump. A variable speed pump can run at range of horsepowers while a 2 speed pump is straight high or straight low. The straight low on a 2 speed would be good if you want constant turnover of the water 24/7 without driving electrical costs through the roof.

There are 2 speed 48 frame above ground pumps on the market but not a true variable speed pump made specially for above ground pools.

Reactions: Geminisq
JoshU said:
There is also a difference in the motors. Above ground pool pumps use 48 frame motors while in-ground pool pumps use 56 frame motors. Hence a 1 HP above ground pool pump has less "power" than an in-ground pool pump.

I thought 48 or 56 frame refered to the physical dimensions of the motor, ie, shaft height, diameter and mounting hole pattern. Thereby a 48 frame 1HP motor from manufacturer A should interchangeable with the same from manufacturer B. How does that effect the power of the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.