Custom parts? Cost?

What should I do?

• Total voters
Feb 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Hi guys, I have an older skimmer that i can't find parts for. So I'm thinking of having a couple custom PVC parts made so I can better control my intake. ANyone done anything like this? Any idea about the costs? ANy thoughts on the idea?

All input is appreciated.

Can you explain a little more about what you want to do? Not sure I understand "control my intake". Do you want to vary how much water is flowing through the skimmer? Is the skimmer the only suction line you have or do you have a main drain as well?
If you have a main drain, is it plumbed through the skimmer or is it a direct line back to the pump?

eline65 said:
Hi guys, I have an older skimmer that i can't find parts for. So I'm thinking of having a couple custom PVC parts made so I can better control my intake. ANyone done anything like this? Any idea about the costs? ANy thoughts on the idea?

All input is appreciated.
It might help if you reposted that picture of your skimmer here, along with a sketch of what you want to do.

Plastic cuts real easy with a hacksaw, router, even a jigsaw. I don't know why you couldn't find a basket slightly oversize and trim it down. If it's regulating the flow between the main drain and the skimmer, generic diverters are available for about ten bucks.

Tell us what you want to do, exactly.

Here's the pics I posted in the pumping station. and some back-info is there too.
help-newbie-new-pool-owner-odball-skimmer-missing-parts-t28623.html

Currently the hole to the left of the skimmer (the bottom of the image goes to the pool) goes to the main drain. I can't use the main drain unless I put a hose from the pump intake to the MD line.

My main problem though is that only half the water goes into the skimmer basket and the rest go to the side of the basket via that space above that third hole. Allot of leaves make it to the pumps basket. So one of the custom parts I want to make is a blocking plate that prevents the water from getting around the basket, fitting into that ridge next to the skimmer basket. That one should be easy and yes, a hacksaw I guess would be all I need.

Another plate I want to make will be the custom part I want that will allow me to pull some of the intake from the main drain.

I'll post a piping diagram when I get more time.

Replacing the skimmer and running the drain line to the pump might be your best bet if you are willing to spring for it. The only other partial solution I can think of is if the basket is a standard Pentair deep basket is to add a floating weir which fits inside the basket. This will improve the skimming action substantially.

Scott

PS- Disregard my vote for the Make your own parts. Not enough coffee.

eline65 said:
Here's the pics I posted in the pumping station. and some back-info is there too.
file.php

Currently the hole to the left of the skimmer (the bottom of the image goes to the pool) goes to the main drain. I can't use the main drain unless I put a hose from the pump intake to the MD line.

My main problem though is that only half the water goes into the skimmer basket and the rest go to the side of the basket via that space above that third hole. Allot of leaves make it to the pumps basket. So one of the custom parts I want to make is a blocking plate that prevents the water from getting around the basket, fitting into that ridge next to the skimmer basket. That one should be easy and yes, a hacksaw I guess would be all I need.

Another plate I want to make will be the custom part I want that will allow me to pull some of the intake from the main drain.

I'll post a piping diagram when I get more time.
Are we using the same terms? What you call the main drain is that side hole to the left? That leads to the bottom of the pool? Beneath the basket, those two holes generally go to the pump and to the bottom of the pool. And you pull water from the bottom of the pool by using one of these:
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

In the other thread you mentioned: "One goes to the pump (that has no diverter valve for the main drain) the other I think goes to a hole that's about a foot below the skimmers main opening, and a third hole just off to the side and below the basket, that I think connects to the drain"

Have you ben able to verify these? Can you label the picture with where each hole goes?

What does the hole about a foot below the skimmer openng look like? Could you fit a hose to it? Could this be some sort of method to hook up a pool cleaner without having to run the suction hose into the skimmer basket? Some kind of missing diverter valve/flap/thing you'd move in the basket to pull suction from the second hole instead of the main inlet?

Sorry I'm not home to take more pictures.

But I edited the one I posted before.
[attachment=0:2pmoocpn]skimmer-lbl.JPG[/attachment:2pmoocpn]
The hole "a foot from the skimmer" is about a foot below the skimmer in the pool. It's another inlet that I assume as carl said, might be for a cleaner but Im missing all the parts to really know for sure. I'm no expert either so I'm just guestimating!

i'll have to take some measurements to see if the tall basket idea would fit. I'm told it's a predassessor to the current American model so it might just work.

That would certainly fix the leaf problem.

p.s. My goodness that thing is dirty!

Attachments

• skimmer-lbl.JPG
    skimmer-lbl.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 67
But the water is clear enough to reflect your hand, your head and your coffee cup :)

Is the water level above the hole to the main drain? The opening to the pool is past the hole to the main drain right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can't be that clear, that's the camera strap! :lol:

The water level is 4"-6" inches above the basket line (top ridge)

You know, the more I think about it, I might go with that deep basket and and maybe even that floating weir mentioned before.

I again have more small leaves in my pump basket then my skimmer basket. The really bad part is that the leaves (from a mesquite tree) can get through the holes in the skimmer and pump baskets. I can't put those socks in teh pump, but a deep basket can hold one, or that custom part forcing it all in the skimmer basket I already have then that sock can do what it's supposed to do

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.