Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often to adjust pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often to adjust pH?

Hi,

Is it fine to adjust pH once a week or is this something I should be doing more often? I have a salt water system and I read on here I need to keep my pH at 7.5-7.6 but everytime I test it is 8.0. I then drop it to 7.5 but I don't know how long it stays at 7.5 before it bounces back up to 8.0.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often to adjust pH?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatica
    Hi,

Is it fine to adjust pH once a week or is this something I should be doing more often? I have a salt water system and I read on here I need to keep my pH at 7.5-7.6 but everytime I test it is 8.0. I then drop it to 7.5 but I don't know how long it stays at 7.5 before it bounces back up to 8.0.
    I'd test it daily until I learned how fast it changes. Then adjust accordingly. Might be every day, might be every three - you'll never know unless you experiment.

Plug your numbers into Pool Calculator. See what the CSI is - you want to keep that in the safe zone, however often that means adding acid.

If you plug your numbers into Pool Calculator and something is way out of range, you can always post another thread for help with it. Be sure to select the finish and SWG down at the bottom.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

How often do you test your pH? You should really check it daily. What is your TA? How are you testing your water?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Every pool is different, and a pool will change with time as well. Mine climbs about 0.2 per week, so I tweak it on Saturday or Sunday and don't worry about it for a week. Mine used to climb insanely fast like yours, and I checked it daily and usually adjusted it daily.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

....or one could install an automatic system for about $200 and not have to breathe fumes or worry about adjustments.... Simpool pH in my sig (just another happy customer and they shipped in one week from Italy to USA)

6. Back To Top    #6

My pH climbs around 0.2 per month, but I have an electric mostly opaque safety cover so outgassing is minimal though the pool is used 1-2 days per week and longer on weekends. I use 12.5% chlorinating liquid added around twice a week and I check the pH every week or two and add acid around once a month or so as needed. Those pools with higher TA, lower pH, more aeration, and SWG systems tend to rise in pH more quickly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by susa
    ....or one could install an automatic system for about $200 and not have to breathe fumes or worry about adjustments.... Simpool pH in my sig (just another happy customer and they shipped in one week from Italy to USA)

Certainly an option in way of automation, but we'd still advise regular manual testing of PH and other water chemistry parameters to ensure everything is working the way it should

The quick answer to the OP is to adjust it down everytime PH rises to 7.8 and above. If you experience frequent PH rise, lowering your TA to around the 60-80 range and possibly using borates could help counter the frequent rise in PH and make things a tad more stable.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I guess I will test daily until it levels out. My TA is 80 and still seems to go up.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatica
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I guess I will test daily until it levels out. My TA is 80 and still seems to go up.
    Lowering your TA might help. I lowered mine to 50 and it did slow the pH rise. If you do this you may have to adjust your CH a little higher to keep your CSI within range.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280