Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner

I am a new pool owner and will need to start learning how to do things about the pool. Here are a couple of my questions.

1) Do I need to hire someone to do maintenance or is everything pretty simple to pick up?

2) Is opening a pool hard if I know nothing about pools? I am assuming it is.

3) Does anyone know any pool servicing companies around the Bel Air, MD Area?

Thank you for your help
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner

I forgot to mention that I have a concrete inground pool.
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

3. Back To Top    #3

First thing to do is start reading Pool School. Pay attention to the section on test kits - that's the key. And whether or not you hire someone, you'll still want a kit to keep tabs on him. And the Pool Store testing is not really free, they'll sell you buckets o'snake oil every time you show up, or at least try to. And they're notoriously inacccurate. But there's enough threads on that topic, so I'll stop there.

Pool maintenance is not hard, but it does require constant attention. Since you're new, I'll repeat one of my common replies: It's like the dentist. You can spend a few minutes a day for pennies a week or spend a small fortune once a year to have a movie-star smile.

I'll tell you this: Nobody will care for your pool as much as you do.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

First thing to do is start reading Pool School. Pay attention to the section on test kits - that's the key. And whether or not you hire someone, you'll still want a kit to keep tabs on him. And the Pool Store testing is not really free, they'll sell you buckets o'snake oil every time you show up, or at least try to. And they're notoriously inacccurate. But there's enough threads on that topic, so I'll stop there.

Pool maintenance is not hard, but it does require constant attention. Since you're new, I'll repeat one of my common replies: It's like the dentist. You can spend a few minutes a day for pennies a week or spend a small fortune once a year to have a movie-star smile.

I'll tell you this: Nobody will care for your pool as much as you do.
    Thanks. Is there a section on opening an inground pool. I see a section in the pool school for opening an above ground, but do not see one for an in-ground pool
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by precator
    Thanks. Is there a section on opening an inground pool. I see a section in the pool school for opening an above ground, but do not see one for an in-ground pool
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ary_pool_guide
    If you close the pool, you're seasonal. Those of us in balmier climates get to test, treat, brush, and vacuum year-round.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks thats a good guide. I guess I still have some questions. How do I turn the pump on,etc. How does water come into my pool, where are the filters, etc? Again I am a major novice when it comes to pools..
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

7. Back To Top    #7

As Richard suggested, go through pool school. We have some time before it's time to open the pool. The Picture Encyclopedia will help you to recognize the significant and common parts of your pool and the tools used in it's care.

In it's simplest terms, it's an artificial life form in your back yard. It has a heart (the pump), veins and arteries (the pipes to and from the pool and it's equipment pad), a kidney (the filter), and a brain (pool timer or automation). Some have some extras like underwater lighting, a heater, etc... It also needs to be fed and cleaned. When it breaks, someone needs to nurse it back to health.

This site is dedicated to helping you educate yourself. This keeps you from getting pool stored, i.e. spending lots of money on things your pool doesn't need. There are untold thousands of people that have come here after the fact. You get to learn from their mistakes. Enjoy the reading and learning. You,your family, and guests will appreciate the safe way you care for your pool.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!!

No one is born knowing how to properly care for a pool

As this is your first pool owning experience, I suggest you hire someone to open your pool for you. However, try to schedule it so you can be there to learn what they do and ask any questions you have.

I'm sure you'll be able to take care of the maintenance yourself once you see how things work (and with a little help from us )

I'm sure you'll have a great pool ownership experience! Please feel free to ask any questions (the only stupid question is the one unasked )

[Scott posted whilst I was 'hunting and pecking' on my keyboard . As he said, there's still time before you'll open the pool to read here and ask us questions. See how confident you feel about opening your own pool in a week, if ~less than sure, schedule a company to open your pool (you have to schedule it early or you won't be swimming til 7/4/11 )]
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)