Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie needs help--Don't want to call PB again!

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie needs help--Don't want to call PB again!

Today was the first day I tried to vacuum myself, well of course I would run into problems. When I feel the vacuum there is all kinds of suction, but when I try to vacuum in the pool it will not pick up anything. I keep checking and I feel suction, but it won't work when Iplace in the bottom of the pool. I t won't even pick up the smallest item. I even put the hole directly over the debris and when I move the head there it is still on the pool floor. I really don't want to have to call the PB builder again, is it me?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

If you have more than once skimmer you may need to turn off some or all of the other skimmers to get enough flow for the vacuum to work properly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

L2w, welcome to TFP

Following Jason's line of thought - hook up your vacuum as you normally would and turn off the valve for another suction line until you see a 1/2 - 1psi drop on the filter's pressure gauge, this will give you sufficient suction to get debris off of the floor without having the vac head stick to the floor.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Does your vacuum hook directly into your skimmer? If it does, then you don't want to turn down your skimmer, you want to leave it full open and slowly turn down your main drain till you get enough suction. If you don' t have a main drain, then turn down any other suction to your pump (2nd skimmer). If that doesnt work then something else must be wrong.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Duh! I forgot to turn off the main drain.
    Thanks, Lisa