Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: measuring bleach strength

1. Back To Top    #1

measuring bleach strength

Is there an easy way to test the strength of bleach?

I figure if you dilute it 10000 times then you can test using the conventional way.
    But whats a good rule of thumb to do the dilution?

For whatever reason my last round of bleach from the pool store didn't seem to cut it.

Sorry if this is a redundant thread. all my searches turned up as testing the pool water not the actual bleach
    11000ish gallons, cartridge filter, IG (in ground), plaster, 1.5 hp pump, screen enclosure

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: measuring bleach strength

nope...valid question...easiest guage is using the pool volume. One gallon of 6% bleach should raise the FC in a 10K gal pool by 6ppm. One gallon of 12% = 12ppm, etc...so if you are using 6% bleach in a 11k gal pool, you should get an FC boost of about 5.5ppm +/- 0.5ppm, after adding one gallon, assumming it's a "fresh batch"
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you.
    My 10.5% bleach measured (using my pool volume) to be 8.5%

Do the pool stores store their bleach in translucent plastic towers outside the store?
    I wonder if I just have old bleach since its winter time.
    11000ish gallons, cartridge filter, IG (in ground), plaster, 1.5 hp pump, screen enclosure

5. Back To Top    #5

It can be done by dilution fairly easily with a set of digital scales. I set the scales to zero (grams) with an open container on. Then put in about 3-500 grams of clean water, add 100 g of bleach and top up to 1000 g. That's dilution of 1/10. Stir and take out and save a plastic cup full.

Empty and rinse the container, put back on the scales and repeat the process, this time adding the 100 g from the plastic cup. This dilutes to 1/100. Discard/rinse plastic cup, take another cup full. Do twice more - four in total - and that's 1/10,000 (as the bleach is already n/100 dilution this brings it to ppm strength). A final stir and test the result with the pool kit.

If my maths is rubbish I'm sure someone will correct my foolishness.

The reason I do 100 g to 1,000 g and add the 100 g in the 'middle' of the dilution is to lessen the effect of slight inaccuracy. You also need clean un-chlorinated water to do the dilution.

(Edit: posted before I read Ohm_Boy's link, which says much the same thing.)
    11,000 Imp galls inground hopper 15' x 35', Delifol liner (vinyl), sand filter, Abrisud Classic cover, Palintest 315C test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Just for completeness: 1/2 tsp 6% bleach in 4 gallons* unchlorinated water should read as 10ppm.
    (That's approx 6000:1 dilution. Measuring the 1/2 tsp precisely is the hardest part.)
    --paulr

* U.S. not Imperial, not that I think anyone really still uses Imperial gallons, I'm just showing off
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

< not that I think anyone really still uses Imperial gallons....>

Oh I don't know, old boy, still a few of us left in the old Empire.
    11,000 Imp galls inground hopper 15' x 35', Delifol liner (vinyl), sand filter, Abrisud Classic cover, Palintest 315C test kit