Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CSI a little out of range due to temperature?

1. Back To Top    #1

CSI a little out of range due to temperature?

I haven't been entering in the temperature of the pool water into pool calculator.
    With it being so cold lately, my pool temp has dropped down to 50 degrees (a little below actually).

What's interesting is that my CSI is now too low and out of range, but my chem readings don't seem too far out of line
    (at least to me).

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    TC 3.5
    ph 7.4
    TA 80
    CH 260
    CYA 65
    Salt 3300 ppm
    pool temp is 50 degrees

CSI according to pool calculator is -0.78.

Anything to be concerned about here? If so, which of the chem readings should I affect? Should I raise CH a bit?

Thanks,

Slade
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CSI a little out of range due to temperature?

You want the PH to be higher during the winter than it is during the summer. As the water cools the PH will naturally go up on it's own, keeping everything in balance. You should raise your PH by about 0.3 or 0.4 now, and then keep it 0.2 to 0.5 higher than normal as long as the water is below about 55 degrees.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks a lot Jason.

I had recently added some acid to bring the pH down. I'll let it stay higher while it's cold as you suggest.

After your post, I began playing around with the pool calculator numbers. pH seems to have a heavily weighted impact on CSI (more so than temp).

Slade
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

4. Back To Top    #4

pH is the largest factor by far for the CSI. The TA is next, then CH, CYA and temperature. pH is already on a logarithmic scale which is why small changes have a big effect. For TA and CH, you have to double their values for a 0.3 change. CYA has an indirect effect on TA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"