Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward pool heater automation

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward pool heater automation

Hi,
    I replaced my Jandy Laars LX 400 heater with a Hayward FDN 400 natural gas heater heater over the weekend. The Jandy heater had 2 Jandy actuator valves controlling water flow when spa or pool heating is selected.
    I however do not see an option on the Hayward heater to automate the switching of the water flow when selecting pool or spa heating?
    Am I missing something or do I need to add a control system to automate the water flow when heating pool or spa?
    Looking forward to a reply

thx
    15'x30' 18k gallon pebble sheen pool, 1.5HP Pentair WhisperFlo 2 speed pump, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Quik Pure 3 Ozone Oxidation System, Hayward Navigator, Gulf Stream HE125-T-A Heat Pump, (2) 3' waterfalls run by 1.5HP Pentair WhisperFlo 1 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward pool heater automation

You would need an automation system to do that.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

The feature on your old heater that allowed it to control the valves is very rare among heaters in general. Valve automation is normally done by the automation system, not by the heater. Since Hayward doesn't have the valve automation in any of their heaters, you need to use an automation system or turn the valves manually. Even a very low end automation system will do, but that is still likely to be several hundred dollars.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick replies. I suspected this.
    Any recommendations for low end automation system?
    I currently have an x10 aquadyne 16 channel wireless system controlling pumps/lights/timer (using 5 of 16 channels). Perhaps I can use this for spa/pump actuators?
    15'x30' 18k gallon pebble sheen pool, 1.5HP Pentair WhisperFlo 2 speed pump, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Quik Pure 3 Ozone Oxidation System, Hayward Navigator, Gulf Stream HE125-T-A Heat Pump, (2) 3' waterfalls run by 1.5HP Pentair WhisperFlo 1 speed pump