Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gotta start all over

1. Back To Top    #1

Gotta start all over

[attachment=0:1yomhs47]febpool.jpg[/attachment:1yomhs47]
    Here's what it looked like at 11:30 this morning. It tested great, nothing needed at all. We haven't seen any rain in quite a while, and it's been warm, so the lawn is starting to get brown tips. Therefore, out of the pool and onto the lawn. Then refill. I sucked the hot tub dry then pulled the pool down as low as I dared. Probably 2000 gallons. Which should do wonders for the high CH and slightly high CYA.

But now I have to start all over getting pH, TA, and FC just right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gotta start all over

I'm confused... it looked great, tested great... why starting over?
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by carlos31820
    I'm confused... it looked great, tested great... why starting over?
    Because I just replaced about 10% of the water - which means 10% of the FC is gone, 10% of the CH is gone, and so on. And I had no idea which way the pH is going to go.

Actually I let it mix for over an hour, including some fierce brushing with a whale brush, and it looks like my guesstimate on the acid was pretty good. I'll check again tomorrow and then adjust the FC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard has unbelievably high CH, and so he is always working to lower it.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks good Richard....nice and sparkly!
    Looking to build a new POOL

6. Back To Top    #6

That is a great looking pool.
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't feel bad Richard I just did the same thing about 2 weeks ago. I drained out about 10,000 gals. Had to add about 1 gal of bleach and 7-40lb bags of salt. Just got everything balance as of last week. I lowered my CH from 500 to about 200 and also lowered my CYA down from about 100. Water is great looking and the weather is just like spring here. You're water looks great also.
    16,500 gal Roman end with PebbleFina finish
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump
    Easytouch controls with an IC40 chlorinator
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    A & A infloor cleaning system
    Pentair 5g LED pool light

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by SCCS
    I drained out about 10,000 gals. I lowered my CH from 500 to about 200 and also lowered my CYA down from about 100.
    We just did a pool about your size last week with CH at 800 and 100 CYA. We used up about 2,500 gallons in the process, and gave them back 170 CH and 0 CYA!

I know we are not supposed to "sell" here, but I hate to see 10,000 gallons of water wasted. For those of you in drought areas, please check and see if there are alternatives to dumping all this water (not picking on you, SCCS, but just pointing out that it takes dumping a lot of water to get the chemistry right sometimes, and that there are alternatives available in some parts of the country).

Your pool is looking great, Richard

9. Back To Top    #9

I can vouch for Bruce and his RO process. If it's available I highly recommend it.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Richard has unbelievably high CH, and so he is always working to lower it.
    That is an understatement. I also had unbelievably high CYA when I started.

This morning's numbers:
    FC: 8
    CC: .5
    TC: 8.5
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 50
    CH: 675
    CYA: 50
    Temp: 56F
    CSI -.58

CC, probably chloramines in the tap water. pH is a little low, but it's where I want it, as is TA. I am actually dissolving scale from the walls, ever so slowly. What used to look like blue-grey walls with white streaks now looks like white walls with some blue-grey marbling.
    The spa section is nearly all white, but I attribute that to vigorous brushing when I'm in it. My theory is that microscopic scratches on the scale increase the surface area, so the acidic water can dissolve it faster. And my tests seem to confirm it; CH was at 675 12/23, and rose to 800 by 2/13, and this with only adding about 2" water. Just a slow climb.

Now if we can just get some more rain, I can keep going. I'm quite thrilled that CYA is now down to a reasonable level. I believe it was somewhere between 220-240 when I first got a test kit. Hard to tell when you dilute the sample 1:3.... A little more rain, and I'll have a safety margin, and I'll be able to buy a couple pucks for when I go on vacation in May!

11. Back To Top    #11

And after the storm

We had a couple days of rain, a few days after I emptied and filled from the tap....grrr. go figure.

Pumped down, circulated, brushed, and finally tested.
    FC: 5
    CC: 0
    TC: 5
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 40
    CH: 600
    CYA: call it 48 (3X in a row!)
    Temp: 56F
    CSI -.49

A quart of 12½% and I'm good for now. I'll give it a few days and see what happends to the TA, if it picks up any carbonate from the walls. I might have to buy something besides bleach and acid and test kit refills!!