PVC vs. CPVC?

Feb 12, 2011
Hello,

I'm halfway through replumbing my equipment pad and I just noticed the Jandy Neverlube valves are CPVC and have a warning to only use "universal CPVC cement", whatever that is. None of my hardware stores carry it and I've read online that it isn't okay to glue PVC to CPVC. And yet I suspect the world is full of pool systems plumbed with PVC and Jandy valves.

So what is everyone doing? Are they just ignoring the PVC / CPVC incompatibility and using regular PVC cement? What are the risks or downsides to this?

The rest of my pool plumbing is already done in PVC. I hope you won't say that due to the heat and chemicals I should be using CPVC. That would be a big bummer!

Thanks

JohnT said:
Home Depot or Lowe's surely carries the red Oatey all-purpose cement.

Welcome to TFP!

Thanks!

Yeah, I looked at both Lowes and Home Depot. Neither had the red all-purpose Oatey nor did they have the orange CPVC. Their selection was very limited.

I eventually found some orange CPVC cement. I'm hoping its okay to use the CPVC cement on PVC pipe since I think it is stronger than the regular PVC cement. So my current plan is to use CPVC cement on the joints that mate PVC pipe to CPVC fittings.

As a licensed plumber in a former life, I still cant get passed using glue to join CPVC to PVC. :whip:

"No glue joints between different tyes of plastic"
REF:
International Residential Code 2904.16.2
Uniform Plumbing Code 316.1.6

I guess the glues they have now for this work, but it still wouldnt pass a real plumbing inspection :hammer:
I realize its a pool and no inspection is required. But I cant get passed it. :?
I'd use threaded unions of some type, or use the threads on the valve itself and use PVC adapters, but thats the plumber in me I suppose.

I have the same delema, I can't find the Oatey All-Purpose anywhere in canada, so I am going to use the Clear CPVC Glue in the orange Oatey can.
All though I wonder what would happen if I primed the pipe and valve, but used CPVC glue on the valve side, and PVC glue on the pipe end, and then put them together, would the two cements mixing cause problems? My thoughts were that the PVC glue would soften the PVC pipe for fusing, and the CPVC glue would do the same for the valve.
Anyone tried this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.