Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC vs. CPVC?

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC vs. CPVC?

Hello,

I'm halfway through replumbing my equipment pad and I just noticed the Jandy Neverlube valves are CPVC and have a warning to only use "universal CPVC cement", whatever that is. None of my hardware stores carry it and I've read online that it isn't okay to glue PVC to CPVC. And yet I suspect the world is full of pool systems plumbed with PVC and Jandy valves.

So what is everyone doing? Are they just ignoring the PVC / CPVC incompatibility and using regular PVC cement? What are the risks or downsides to this?

The rest of my pool plumbing is already done in PVC. I hope you won't say that due to the heat and chemicals I should be using CPVC. That would be a big bummer!

Thanks
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC vs. CPVC?

Home Depot or Lowe's surely carries the red Oatey all-purpose cement.

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Home Depot or Lowe's surely carries the red Oatey all-purpose cement.

Welcome to TFP!
    Thanks!

Yeah, I looked at both Lowes and Home Depot. Neither had the red all-purpose Oatey nor did they have the orange CPVC. Their selection was very limited.

I eventually found some orange CPVC cement. I'm hoping its okay to use the CPVC cement on PVC pipe since I think it is stronger than the regular PVC cement. So my current plan is to use CPVC cement on the joints that mate PVC pipe to CPVC fittings.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you need to talk to an irrigation supply, or a plumbing supply place. Some place whose speciality is water/fluid plumbing.
    30K gal, stained plaster, 1 HP Hayward pump, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, Protein/carbon fiber actuated digit with calcium fortified support substructure cleaning system.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've used clear for years. Never has a problem. Just remember to hold the freshly glued joints for 30 to 60 seconds so they don't push back out.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I use clear when I have to.. Mainly I use pool tite for everything..

7. Back To Top    #7

Much as I like Pool TIte, the blue stains, even after wiping, make me mental on above ground plumbing.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

When I plumbed cpvc at my house I used a can I found at lowes that was yellow in color and didn't require a primer. That worked well
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

9. Back To Top    #9

As a licensed plumber in a former life, I still cant get passed using glue to join CPVC to PVC.

"No glue joints between different tyes of plastic"
    REF:
    International Residential Code 2904.16.2
    Uniform Plumbing Code 316.1.6

I guess the glues they have now for this work, but it still wouldnt pass a real plumbing inspection
    I realize its a pool and no inspection is required. But I cant get passed it.
    I'd use threaded unions of some type, or use the threads on the valve itself and use PVC adapters, but thats the plumber in me I suppose.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have the same delema, I can't find the Oatey All-Purpose anywhere in canada, so I am going to use the Clear CPVC Glue in the orange Oatey can.
    All though I wonder what would happen if I primed the pipe and valve, but used CPVC glue on the valve side, and PVC glue on the pipe end, and then put them together, would the two cements mixing cause problems? My thoughts were that the PVC glue would soften the PVC pipe for fusing, and the CPVC glue would do the same for the valve.
    Anyone tried this?
    24' round x 54" Tahitian (Sharkline), 1.5HP Sta-rite Pump, 22" 250lb. sand filter with Zeo-best media, Hayward H250FDN heater, Del Clear Ozonator, SWG or Rola-Chem feeder, not sure?, Trident Automatic Pool Cleaner, 100Watt Nightlighter, Underwater light show and fountain, 2" Hard Plumbed.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!