Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can the Ozonator go before the inline Chlornator?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can the Ozonator go before the inline Chlornator?

Hello, I'm new to this pool stuff, and am just trying to figure out my setup, my question is that does the ozonator have to be before or after the inline chlorinator? my setup would be alot simpler if the ozonator could go before the chlorinator. I have attached a qick sketch of my proposed setup. I'm thinking of using a Rainbow 320C chlorinator with my Del Clear Ozone system, any sugestions?
    Thanks, Beep.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' round x 54" Tahitian (Sharkline), 1.5HP Sta-rite Pump, 22" 250lb. sand filter with Zeo-best media, Hayward H250FDN heater, Del Clear Ozonator, SWG or Rola-Chem feeder, not sure?, Trident Automatic Pool Cleaner, 100Watt Nightlighter, Underwater light show and fountain, 2" Hard Plumbed.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can the Ozonator go before the inline Chlornator?

Yes it can if it is a SWG cell it may even be beneficial. For a rainbow unit I am not familiar enough with the materials used in these units to tell you if it is ok.

I would do it anyway. Rainbow parts are cheap enough. Think your money would be better spent buying only a SWG rather than the rainbow or the ozone (and I have both). After replacing my rainbow with a SWG, my rainbow went straight to the trash can.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ozone injection is typically at the suction side pump plug where the impeller can mix it. When the pump is running, it generates a vacuum, drawing a little air in, air that is coming from the ozone generator. Some of that air now contains ozone, aka O3. Anything that can be oxidized and comes into contact with it is toast. The filter catches the oxidized waste.

Whether the chlorine feed is a tablet feeder, liquid feeder, or salt cell will make no difference. Any FC that does happenstance into an O3 is spent but the volume of FC vs O3 is many times greater. The lost FC amount is not a significant amount usually since the ozone that entered the system is mostly toast by the time it gets to the entryway for the chlorine and any residual O3 will decompose quickly.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I was going to use a SWG, but was told that it will void my warranty and that the salt will rust my steel walls in as little as 5-6 years.
    24' round x 54" Tahitian (Sharkline), 1.5HP Sta-rite Pump, 22" 250lb. sand filter with Zeo-best media, Hayward H250FDN heater, Del Clear Ozonator, SWG or Rola-Chem feeder, not sure?, Trident Automatic Pool Cleaner, 100Watt Nightlighter, Underwater light show and fountain, 2" Hard Plumbed.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

5. Back To Top    #5

SWG might pose some risk to softer natural stone work, or if you have a metal pool wall in direct contact with the water (which is extremely rare). If you have the far more common metal wall covered by a vinyl liner then there is essentially no risk to the metal wall at all. At worst you might have some mild and easily fixed corrosion if the liner had a leak.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies!
    After LOTS of reading, I have ruled out the inline chlorinator due to the constant maintenance problems, leaking gaskets, and CYA build up. I'm going to use a rola-chem feeder for liquid chlorine.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

7. Back To Top    #7

Beep, I'm not sure where you read those things but all of your reasons seem to be mis-informed. I have a Pentair SWG and in the 3 years I've owned the pool, I've given it maintenance only 2-3 times... and that involved simply unscrewing the couplers, and cleaning the plates by letting it soak in a Muriatic Acid solution for a few minutes. No big deal. I've never had the gaskets leak, and you've got the CYA buildup thing backwards. Using chlorine pucks is what causes CYA to buildup, a SWG does not increase your CYA at all. The only downside that I've ever noticed with the SWG is the PH slowly rises over time. I add some MA every week or two and all is well (although I should probably add smaller amounts more often).
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think Beep is talking about a puck based inline chlorinator that will raise CYA, leaking gaskets, etc, not a SWCG.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, that makes more sense.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

10. Back To Top    #10

You got it, yes the trichlor pucks, I have a Intex Krystal clear SWG, and used it on my smaller intex pool, but not sure how well it will work on my new pool. I do agree it was pretty much set and forget, and yes my PH did rise up a bit, this was before I found this site and I was always wondering why the clorine level dropped so fast , but now I know because I had 0 CYA.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!