Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waterco MultiCyclone Centrifugal Filter

1. Back To Top    #1
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Waterco MultiCyclone Centrifugal Filter

Anyone have any experience with these devices?

I was having a discussion with a local pool supplier and I mentioned I was looking for an alternative to cleaning baskets of leaves etc and wanted a stand alone basket that was much larger than that typically installed on consumer quality pool pumps, since I travel frequently I want to eliminate the whole integrated pump/basket to go with a much better quality german made pump I have here which is all stainless construction and is permanent magnet and brushless (its used in lab process equipment). My goal was to have a basket that was 10 times the size so it never clogs, I thought there would be something commercial that might work (which there is) but they all have 4-8" diameter coupling faces which would require some plastic fabrication to fit a standard 1.5-2" pool inlet line.

We theorized that with this device and an 1.5HP open face pump impeller like I have (which would macerate most large material entering the pump) I likely could remove the basket althogether and just wire up a motorized ball valve to the device and flush it every day automatically or even wire in a pressure switch as it gets filled leaving only a motorized multiport device as the only other unit required to make my pool pumping station flush completely automatic control with my PLC controller. Have to admit the level at which it gets small particles down to 50 microns is pretty impressive even if I would have to increase the pump HP slightly to accomodate the head restriction (my original pump is 3/4HP).

I really like the idea of prefiltering the sand filter as opposed to a basket that gets clogged in less than a day if the leaves are falling, which has happened to me on a couple of occasions, not to mention getting away from the plastic closed face cheapo pumps they sell for pools with the integrated basket filter. The device cost about $400 CDN here so its not that expensive especially if you consider never having to worry about cleaning a basket again, probably just replace the skimmer basket with a grate that would allow leaves through but not items like a kids ball which would clog the line.

What do you think?
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

London and France

Re: Waterco MultiCyclone Centrifugal Filter

There is a new model (multicyclone plus) with an element filter on the top which replaces the whole setup. Looks very impressive and as it only uses 15 litres of water to flush it a no brainer in places with high cost water metered supplies like France. If it can keep the majority of the dirt out of the main fiter it has to be good. I am most likely to install one on my setup this year to test it before selling to the public.

The latest plus models also have a SWG cell attached.

3. Back To Top    #3

North East Ohio

Just curious if there is any new news on how well these work, my Pool Guy is really telling me one of these will help out a bunch.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Richmond, Tx

I installed the Multicyclone Waterco 16 a week ago during a pump replacement and I'm really impressed with the amount of sediment it collects. My pool is salt water and has flag stone bench and waterfall, so I get a fair share of sediment on the pool bottom. My pool cleaner moves around and stirs the sand/silt up use to just settle in a new place. The multicyclone appears to be collecting much of that, and the premise is that sediment doesn't get to my cartridge filter cleaner and hopefully it now needs fewer cleanings per year. It only takes maybe 5-10 seconds of opening the Waterco's valve to clean the sediment bowl, and I plumbed that drain into a nearby French drain. Seems well built, just need to remember to NOT overtightening the quick disconnect fittings.
    26k Gallon diving pool w/ salt water, Pebbletec bottom, Pentair - Easytouch 8, Intelliflo VS 3HP main pump, Whisperflo 2.5HP waterfall, IC40 Chlorinator, LSM05 booster, FNS60 cartridge filter, Kreepy Krawley Platinum cleaner, Waterco Mutlicyclone pre-filter

5. Back To Top    #5

San Antonio, TX

I am looking at the cyclone filter as well - can you advise as to the difference between the 12 and the 16 ?
    Under construction now, and is 18by45 shotcrete 33k gallons
    Equipment being spec'd now