Lowering CYA

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Hi, my CYA is 160 due to trichlor tabs the previous owners used to use, and I would like to lower it. The pool is 18000 gallons or so, so I don't really want to drain half of it and refill.

Will evaporation with subsequent refilling eventually do it? Does CYA even evaporate, or does it remain concentrated in the pool? And if it does evaporate, will this take way too long to lower CYA? Any other ideas on lowering CYA? Thanks

CYA does not evaporate. I does sometime degrade over the winter months and convert to ammonia, but unpredictably. Should you live in CA, NV or AZ reverse osmosis treatment may be an available option, otherwise you are looking at water replacement. :(

You can do it gradually, like I did: use pool water to water the lawn then refill the pool with fresh water. That also is how to get rid of excessive Calcium. It takes a loooooong time.

I've been able to speed it up on the cheap by putting a flexible downspout extension so it goes in the pool. 1" of rain gets me about 3" in the pool. But then you also have to be around to monitor the water level and pump enough out without going so low you start sucking air in the skimmers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.