Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta Rite 400k water in the wrong place

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta Rite 400k water in the wrong place

Hi folks....

Just plumbed in my used heater. Ran water through it for while and all seemed well. After about 10 minutes, water started coming out of the fan intake??? Quite a bit of water.....Call me crazy, but I dont think its supposed to do this. Have I purchased a used pos? Something inside come loose during shipping maybe? Thought I should ask the pros before I go snooping around inside it.
    Thanks for any ideas/experience y'all can throw this way.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sta Rite 400k water in the wrong place

I would open it up to see if something might have come loose, but it sounds like the heat exchanger may be shot.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you get your money back?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys...I dont think I'll get my money back, it was way too expensive for shipping (more than the heater). However I will be discussing it with the guy I bought it from. Because it ran for so long before it started barfing out the fan, I am guessing that it probably worked when he had it (it supposedly was fine) and hopefully just a silly little seal has let go. I am setting it up as a single heater for separate pool and spa systems, so to just toss out the psychotic plumbing before taking a look inside is just painful.
    Great site, by the way, very much enjoying the info throughout.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well...the canister is full of water, and it appears when i turn on the water that the coils have sprung a leak. POO!..worth fixin? Is it possible to have maybe a radiator shop try and seal it?
    hmmm

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess if the hole is pretty small a radiator shop MIGHT be able to repair it, but I'm not sure. If the hole is bigger, or there are multiple holes, then it's probably a lost cause.

Did you get this off ebay? Is the seller local? My guess is the guy knew it was bad and sold it anyway. Used pool equipment is a **** shoot and a heater sure enough is. I hope it wasnt too expensive an experience.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!!

I certainly sounds like the heat exchanger is shot

Take a 1/2" wrench and remove the bottommost bolt from the manifold, and watch rust colored water pour out

For now, bypass the heater. Replacing the heat exchanger isn't overly difficult (I'll walk you through it, if you want to go that route) - my former boss charged $1300 for us to do it, but you can probably get a new exchanger for ~ 1/2 that price.

Sorry you bought a defective heater (the person who sold it to you most probably relied on tri-chlor pucks and didn't keep up on his pH)

Let us know how you decide to deal with this
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)