HELP! Newbie-new pool owner-odball skimmer, missing parts?

Feb 12, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Hi all,

I moved into a foreclosure home that had a pool (thankfully it was clean) and unfortunately, I have no schematics, diagrams, or manuals on how to run it. I know I have a Hayward 1HP pump that works good, a Hayward sand filter that seems to still be working, and I have a skimmer that has a basket, and three holes on the bottom. Two of them are below the skimmer basket so that seems to be normal from what I've learned thus far. One goes to the pump (that has no diverter valve for the main drain) the other I think goes to a hole that's about a foot below the skimmers main opening, and a third hole just off to the side and below the basket, that I think connects to the drain. I have not been able to find out what model I have to find parts I need. I don't have any valves, diverters, balls, flaps, attachments, or anything other then the leaf basket in, or around my skimmer. The only identifying information I can see is a broken, sun beaten cover with the American Products logo.

I have found out that my pump/filter has one input and the output branches off to 3 lines and each one has it's own gate valve. One for a single return to the pool and what i guess is an aerator that has a broken adjuster/regulator above it in the tile above the waterline (small bubbles coming out of it with the water), another output line going to a few more returns in various parts of the pool, and the 3rd smaller line going to a cute little thing that sprays water into the air.

aside from a couple very small leaks in the PVC pipe, I don't think there's anything wrong on the pump end of things, it's the parts I might need around the skimmer that I'm lost on. Parts that I don't even know what I need to look for, and can't find a model to match.

Any insight?

David.

p.s. Thanks in advance for your time to reply.

Re: Newbie-new pool owner-odball skimmer, missing parts?

Welcome to TFP.

See if you can find any markings on the skimmer or the skimmer basket. Brand names are rare, but part numbers are fairly common. You could also try posting a picture, which will help us figure it out for you.

ok, so here's the view of what the inside of my skimmer looks like. The only thing I have for it is a basket that sits on that upper ridge
[attachment=1:l6z5j82k]IMG_0033.JPG[/attachment:l6z5j82k]

I looked in as many angles as I can and no luck with any identifying information.

I did look in a makeshift storage room made close to the pool and found an old information sticker from a pool supply place here in town. But it's very old. The pool name is Blue Haven. It's a 20x30 diving pool.

There's one line that has a line to fill in the cleaning system and it says Barracuda and another word that I can't read.

Some good news, a post-it was taped above that that said the filter system was another brand changed in 97. Well it seems that it was again changed to the Hayward system I have now, so at least it's not that old. :goodjob:

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 141

The reason for my concern (and this bump) is I need to know what hardware I need to make this a better system then it is right now. Other then a complete refurb that is. I know this isn't a straightforward/typical issue, but I do really want to make the best of what I have.

Thanks guys for your consideration.

Well that's that! I left a photo with the staff at the local pool supply and they did some asking around. Turns out I have the predecessor to current American Products model. Nothing is available for it. As they say across the pond, bollix!

I will have to make a custom part to block off the side port for daily skimming. Many of the small leaves from the neighbors tree get into the pump by going around my skimmer basket. :(

Re: HELP! Newbie-new pool owner-odball skimmer, missing part

A generic diverter ought to fit in there. Probably in stock and less than ten bucks at your local pool store.
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

To block that side thing, I'd personally get creative with some acrylic scraps. But then, I have a lot of that and plenty of experience from modelling. Another idea that just popped in my head is this modelling clay. No, not the stuff you used in grade school. It's called Premo Sculpey. It's sold at craft stores. You mold it like the stuff you used in school, then bake it in the oven, and it gets hard and stays that way. I'd sculpt a plug to fill the opening and allow the basket to fit, and be done. I'm not sure if it floats or not once it's cured...you might have to experiment with that and maybe embed some old fishing weights or rocks or something in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.