Cartridge Filter Sizing and choices

Bob H

Aug 14, 2009
Jersey Shore
Researching cartridge filters for my IG pool. Pool is 16 x32 and about 20k gal. 1HP WMC single speed pump, 1 1/2 PVC for plumbing. Current pool filter is a tagelus TA-60 sand. Using Blue Pearl robotic cleaner and BBB method. From all my readings bigger is better, What sizes should I be considering? What brands are the most troublefree- Pentair, Hayward, Jandy Sta-Rite? Given the 1 1/2 piping would I be defeating the purpose of going to a larger filter (over 320 sqft) other then freq. of cleaning? Finally, any hints on vendors with competitive prices?
Thanks,
Bob

ANSI/NSF 50 recommendations for a 20k pools is about 160 sq-ft but that would be for a max flow rate of only 58 GPM. To keep cleaning down to a minimum, I would double that to 320 sq-ft. Personally, I have a 420 sq-ft filter for a 20k and glad I do. I leave my pool open all year around but only need to clean the filter once per year.

As for vendors, I think they are all pretty good. I have a Hayward and am very happy with it.

all my previous pools always had hayward systems (all the way..) and finally for my last new pool installed all pentair (primarily due to 3yr warranty but also for the excellent VF pump). when I compared hayward to pentair it appeared to me that the parts on the pentair are more rugged and the action to open the filter was far easier than similarly sized hayward. thus, opted to go with a 200sqft cartridge and considering how tall it is, it's quite sufficient for a 15k pool but next time around may opt for the next size larger as they don't grow in height but add to the width.

Bob H said:
Mark
Thanks for the info for filter sizing info. Any special reason you went with Hayward?
Bob

At the time I put the pool in, about 5+ years ago, I liked the feature set on the Hayward controller and SWG plus I got a great package deal with a 3 year warranty. So the filter really wasn't a big factor in my choice.

There are a lot of folks on this and other forums that don't think highly of Hayward equipment but my experience has been pretty good. I feel the equipment is well made and has held up well to the elements since all of my equipment is outdoors. Plus I never needed to use the warranty either. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.