Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Undersized filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Undersized filter?

Our pool was installed last fall and was then immediately closed/winterized for the season. So although I have no actual experience operating my system from which to draw conclusions, I sense my filter might be undersized. I realize cleaning frequency is dependant on many variables, but all things being equal, should I expect to be servicing this thing on a weekly basis?

Note: See signature for pool specs
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Undersized filter?

I would have specified a larger one but what you have is fine.

Your pool volume, unless you are 10' deep or more, is several thousand gallons high.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you opt for the cartridge filter instead of a sand or is that just what was speced out?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Scott - I have a rectangular, right-angle pool that has a 3.5' low-end that transitions to an 8' deep-end. I estimated my gallonage from specs of similar pools I saw on the web. Where would you put my number at?

BK - That filter was what Paul listed in our contract.

5. Back To Top    #5

IMO, It's not an oversized filter but not drastically small either. You are probably looking at cleaning 2-4x/season and maybe less if you are really diligent about testing and water balance and use skimmer socks, etc...certainly not weekly, unless you get that green stuff
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

That filter should work just fine. I speced out a sand filter but I have a great place to back wash and really didnt want to have to break down a cart to clean it. The cart filter will get finer particles than my sand filter, but they are a bit more work to clean. Use a skimmer sock also. That will catch a lot of junk the would normally go into the filter.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

An 18 x 38 is about 24K. Your L shape isn't in the signature so I assumed either FF or rec.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool is not an L shape. By right angle I was refering to the how the corners are configured because pools with 4', 2' or 6" radius corners hold less H20. I think my questions have been answered. Thanks for the help.

9. Back To Top    #9

24,000 gallons for a 38x18 pool is only an average depth of 4.7' which sounds reasonable to me given that the bottom is 3.5' to 8' deep.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater