New pool owner... somewhat confused about testing

carlos31820

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 22, 2010
Midland, Georgia
Ok, I have a 22,500 vinyl pool. The pool is chlorinated with a SWG. Water temperature is 50F. The PB recently added all the salt to the water. My SWG manual states salt should be about 4000ppm. It's currently 3850.

My confusion stems from reading my chlorinator manual (Jandy Ei chlorinator), and comparing it's suggested chemistry numbers to what's suggested by the pool calculator when selecting the suggested ranges for Traditional Pool or Troublefreepool.com suggested ranges. My confusion is that all three sources seem to differ somewhat.

The suggested ranges according to my chlorinator manual are as follows:

FC: 1-3
CC: none
pH: 7.4-7.6
CYA: 10-50
TA: 80-120
CH: 175-400

I ordered the TF-100 kit with the speedstir and have done tests the past two nights to get the hang of it. The testing itself is very straight forward. Here are the numbers for my pool:

FC: 2
CC: 0
TC: 2
pH: 7.4
TA: 40
CH: 50
CYA: 0
Temp: 50F

Are these numbers normal for a newly-filled vinyl pool? When I plug these numbers into the pool calculator it looks like I have to make many adjustments (TA, CH, CYA). Am I obsessing over this stuff too much? Do I need to worry about correcting any of these things with the water being so cold and nobody swimming? Do I need to care about CH in a vinyl pool?

Relax

1) You will have to add CYA aka Stabilizer, as it doesn't come in tap water. Go easy on it - you can always add more, but getting rid of it's a pain. You can find it at Walmart, Lowes, or the pool store. Guess who will be cheaper?
2) Low CH is not a cause for concern in a vinyl pool. Besides, as water evaporates it leaves Calcium behind, and it will climb all by itself.
3) You can adjust TA if you want. You're just a little below minimum. Check the grocery store, Walmart, Costco, wherever, for baking soda. Or go to the pool store and spend 3X for the same thing with a prettier package and a fancy name.

Be sure to read Pool School. Once the headache subsides and you've added stuff to the pool and seen the results, it will all suddenly make sense.

Re: Re: New pool owner... somewhat confused about testing

Richard320 said:
Be sure to read Pool School. Once the headache subsides and you've added stuff to the pool and seen the results, it will all suddenly make sense.

Richard thanks for the reply. I think my problem is that I've been reading too much! Lol.

Anyway I've been checking out the Pool School posts as well as these forums. Lots of knowledge on this website.

Sent from my DROIDX

Re: Re: New pool owner... somewhat confused about testing

PoolGuyNJ said:
One day Carl, you will pass this on to somebody willing. I remember when Richard was equally confused.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I know its just a matter of time before I get the hang of it. Im just very green since this is my first pool. Im trying to start off on the right path...

Sent from my DROIDX

Since you're new to all this I suggest you adjust one thing at a time and test that till you get the hang of it. With the water as cold as it is you don't need to be in any hurry about doing anything.

I would personally adjust the TA first, but it doesn't really matter which you do. I'd shoot for a TA of about 60 to 80. With a TA of 40 there's a likelyhood of the pH swinging wildly.

Next I'd add some Cyanuric acid to get you to about 50 ppm to begin with. I'm a little surprised that the SWCG recommended a CYA that low.

Don't add any more salt. You also need to read your SWCG manual to see at what temp it shuts down. If it's near where you are now you may have to manually chlorinate for a little while.

Hey, Carlos,

I can't add anything new to what these wise gentlemen have already suggested but am posting to express my agreement.

I also first thought the numbers had to be very precise also and have learned over time there is some leeway. Your test results look good and, once you perform the suggested adjustments, I think you are in for a troublefree pool!! Nice work!! :lol: :lol:

What's the best way to add the cya granules? Container says to add to skimmer basket but im wondering about my cartridge filter. Is the water temperature an issue for dissolving the cya? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Sent from my DROIDX

CYA takes a long time to dissolve at the best of times, longer still when the water is cold.

You can add it to the skimmer as long as you pour slowly and don't clean the filter for at least a week. Most people here prefer to put the CYA in a sock and put the sock in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return jet.

duraleigh said:
Hey, Carlos,

I can't add anything new to what these wise gentlemen have already suggested but am posting to express my agreement.

I also first thought the numbers had to be very precise also and have learned over time there is some leeway. Your test results look good and, once you perform the suggested adjustments, I think you are in for a troublefree pool!! Nice work!! :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you said that. I was talking to some friends who own pools and a few of them didn't even know what CYA (stabilizer) is, why you need it, or why you don't need too much. It made me realize this must not be as precise as I was making it out to be if these people have owned pools for years and don't seem to be having major issues. That being said, however, I know a couple of them have had to battle a few algae outbreaks.

This forum and its members are a great knowledge resource. I prefer to learn the ins and outs of my hobbies, etc so perhaps I'm being overly analytical (or paranoid).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Carlos, I was equally confused when I started out. One thing for sure is that you have found the best place on the internet to learn and ask questions. Here in about a month or two after you gain confidence and you pool is sparkaling you will feel better. Test often, watch the numbers and keep them stable. After a while when you get the hang of it you will trully have a Trouble Free Pool.

carlos31820 said:
This forum and its members are a great knowledge resource. I prefer to learn the ins and outs of my hobbies, etc so perhaps I'm being overly analytical (or paranoid).

As Dave mentioned, you've gotten great advice so far and from what I can tell you seem to be simply experiencing the same recurring symptoms most TFP'ers battle with day in and day out....

Sorry to say this but what you are going through is just a bad case of sparklypoolitis :shock: :lol:

Adjust that TA to about 60 and take your time with the CYA and you'll be in great shape :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.