Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Construction

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Construction

I'm posting my URL: http://golfmd.com/baurphotoalbum/poolco ... /index.htm

I have an entire history of construction of our pool with pretty detailed notes for myself in the future and those that are thinking about building a pool. I've learned A LOT of lessons that I wish I had known prior to building our pool. Unfortunately I stumbled on Trouble Free Pool after we had begun construction and I would have certainly benefitted from many of the posts within this site. This has been my first (at 52) major construction job and have learned too late from many aspects.

I hope this history (which incidently will be updated throughout 2011) will provide those building a pool some insight which can prove very valuable.

We're not anywhere close to done. I've got some interesting problems that we have to address in the Spring and will keep you posted. Have fun. It's a LONG daily update of our entire construction process. I hope to have an entire 3/4 acre spread in the backyard that keeps me both busy and happy in the future. Future work will include a pizza oven, a putting green with chipping area to hit sand wedges back to the shed in the corner, boat house and concrete driveway. Funding and time are always the only constraints.

Our original budget for the entire project was $90K. We're already over-budget and have a lot more to complete. It certainly has been worth the investment, IMHO.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Construction

in reading the notes on your link, pardon my ignorance but who is the "pool owner" who is mentioned as "we paid the pool owner.." and other similar references ? is that not you ?

3. Back To Top    #3

Lot of corrections to be made - I'm the pool owner. He's the pool builder owner.
    TFT-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

XS...looks like it's going to be nice when you are done

Here is a link to a post of my friend's pool that was recently completed, and although you may have some different design elements in mind, the mention of you wanting a putting green, etc, reminded me of his build. Hopefully will give you some ideas...he actually had a tee box put right behind the pool so he can hit balls over the pool to the putting green at the end of the property...it's a healthy sand wedge shot from the pool to the green

pool-build-on-li-ny-t28350.html
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, I've seen that site several times. Tell your friend I WANT to be his friend also!!!
    TFT-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Love the pool house! so you have your equipment inside it? Have a pic of that setup? I'd like to do something similar.
    20k gal pool/spa, marc, Intellichlor SWG, 2 hp pentair whisperflo, Pentair clean & clear filter, Raypack Reheem 266 heater. Taylor K2005 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Super nice pool, deck and pool house. I really like the wall ya'll built. You and your wife worked so hard on the whole project. Now you just need some warm weather! Congratulations!
    19 x 34 In-ground Gunite 3.5-7ft deep; 18” raised spa 7’diameter with tiered spillway
    Diamondbright Plaster - Blue; Pentair cartridge filter; Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050
    Stay-rite Heater 400,000 BTU; In-line chlorinator; Pentair LED lights X2 pool, x1 spa
    3 Bubblers on Tan ledge; Location: Texas Gulf Coast

8. Back To Top    #8

Very, very impressive build. I have browsed through some of the pictures briefly and that you have done this yourself is nothing but unbeliveable. I think it will take the weekend to go through all the pictures, something I look forward to

//Mats
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

9. Back To Top    #9

geomarq,

Never took pics of the pool house setup inside. I'll provide some next week. I'm also in the midst of sheetrocking the entire upstairs of the pool house and will take some of those. Pic's go on spurts.
    TFT-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

What are the dimensions? Love the design..
    20k gal pool/spa, marc, Intellichlor SWG, 2 hp pentair whisperflo, Pentair clean & clear filter, Raypack Reheem 266 heater. Taylor K2005 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Very well described in the write-up. It's a 10x12 shed with an extension on the left of 7 feet and 5 feet in front with 2' overhangs, so the roof is a total of 17x21 with a 12-12 pitch roof giving me a great amount of space upstairs.
    TFT-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

So there's a pull down ladder of some kind to get upstairs?

Thx.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yup, just a regular setup with attic stairs to keep the room downstairs. My intentions were to use the upstairs as storage and still is, but it may be a nice place to hide once in a while.
    TFT-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

What's the plan for the frost heave issue?

When I had my pool build I though (naively!) that it was a simple construction but it really is like building a house: one problem after another!
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

15. Back To Top    #15

It's gone done significantly, but the damage is done in the skimmer. We expect the PB to fix the damage done to the skimmer.
    TFT-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    It's gone done significantly, but the damage is done in the skimmer. We expect the PB to fix the damage done to the skimmer.
    But won't it do the same thing next year? Unless the source of the problem has been taken care of?
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

17. Back To Top    #17

I haven't yet talked to the PB although I told them about it.
    TFT-100 test kit