Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to shade AGP?

1. Back To Top    #1

Blessing, Tx (South of Houston)

Best way to shade AGP?

Ive been trying to find the best way to provide shade for my AGP, ive looked at unbrellas, shade sails, arbors and pergolas so far. Here in southern texas the summers can be brutal and id love to get shade on the pool so we dont cook when we try to swim!

Anybody have any advise on the pros/cons of diffrent methods of shading a pool?
    A Pergola seemed to be the best bet, but then i relised it would take a insaine amount of lumber to accually provide shade over a 18 foot pool!
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Best way to shade AGP?

A frame with fiberglass roofing panels is probably your best bet and that's still gonna be huge. I've been thinking of building a pole barn type structure over our 24'.

The ideal situation would be a giant pergola with movable panels on top, like a huge blind, that could be adjusted to either allow the sun in or to block it depending on the time of year and need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

I just aereate mine and it makes a noticeable difference on the dog days cause ours is full sun all day long. It sure eats some FC! How about some pics of the pool and yard area-------anything close to attach to or come off of? Which compass direction does the pool run lengthwise? I could shade half of mine half the day with two offset umbrellas. Wifey wants the sunshine though!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Shade sails from Home Depot. In the garden supplies section. The ones I have are triangular - about 10' on a side. They are like a tightly woven mesh, that gives you about 75% shade, but lets wind and rain water through. Had one up all last summer, worked great and is still in good shape for this summer. Just bought a second one, to give a little more shade over the pool.

Worked great through a blistering Houston summer.

Intex 14' by 42" pool
    Intex sand filter
    Hayward skimmer