Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much $ needed to upgrade from a grey plaster to Pepple ?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much $ needed to upgrade from a grey plaster to Pepple ?

Hi everyone,
    I'm building a big raised spa 4-4.5' deep (see attached plan for dimensions)
    My PB didn't give me yet the $ amount for the upgrade from French gray plaster (which I have in the contract) to Pepple tec or sheen. Can someone help me estimate how much should I expect for the upgrade?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much $ needed to upgrade from a grey plaster to Pepple ?

Depends on a few things:

Total square footage of surfaces

What your market will bear.

Volume of business your PB brings to the PT certified installer, if PT is being used. Other pebble finishes exist. What has he offered?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Scott,

We are located in Southern CA, San Bernardino County. I have no idea about the square footage, volume of business bet. the PB & the PT installer.
    When we started the full idea, he offered regular French grey plaster to get the bright blue color. I had no idea at that time about different pool finishes. Now after being on this site & other sites for quite a time, I can assume that Pepple tec/sheen is what I need for several reasons:
    Fewer chemicals required in the water (good for my kids)
    Easier to maintain, clean (I’m not that good at maintaining stuff)
    Durability & guarantee.
    I just informed my PB about my intention to change to a Pepple finish, he was ok with that & told me he knows the right guy that he will bring in to give me an estimate of how much extra that will cost.
    I don’t know how much he was going to charge me for the French grey plaster as we had everything done as a package. So I’m just trying to know what’s my limits (like How much $ should be reasonable/acceptable for the upgrade 1000$? less or more??)

Thanks a lot for all your help.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MINA
    Fewer chemicals required in the water (good for my kids)
    Easier to maintain, clean (I’m not that good at maintaining stuff)
    Durability & guarantee.
    How much $ should be reasonable/acceptable for the upgrade 1000$? less or more??
    The chemicals in the water are identical across all of the plaster and plaster plus stuff (like pebbles) finishes.

PebbleTec isn't really easier to maintain, apart from lasting longer. Many people find it easier to brush plain plaster, though the difference is small. Otherwise it is about the same.

Durability and guarantee are very good points. PebbleTec will last longer than just about anything else. In most situations it will last much longer than straight plaster.

I expect it to be more than $1000 extra.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

It sould not be too much on the Spool.

I felt Pebble Tec vs a "Mini" Pebble finish (same size rock as Pebble Sheen). Find a place with both products installed near your home. I bet everyone will tell you to get the Sheen, it is MUCH smoother. You are going to spend almost 100% of your pool time in contact with the Plaster Material (as opposed to swimming laps in a full size pool).
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

6. Back To Top    #6

For us, a 40K gallon pool was a 8K upgrade to pebblesheen from basic plaster.
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

7. Back To Top    #7

If you can give me the perimeter I will figure it out for you based on San Diego pricing. PM me the info, if you like.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks a lot everyone for your comments & info.
    The perimeter is 44' (I did the measure my self in the morning)
    I really thought a pebble finish uses fewer chemicals to maintain compared to other plaster materials, thanks Jason for correcting my info.
    I will let you know how much my BP is asking for the upgrade & if you can help me decide whether to take it or keep the French grey plaster.

Thanks again & best regards.

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi everyone,

My PB came today with Stonescapes mini pebble samples, we liked the midnight blue one & he offered to add some natural shiny stones & golden mini pebbles to make it more shiny & reflective to the sun light.
    He asked $800 more for that.
    I never considered stonescapes & I'm not sure should I take it or leave it!!!
    Help pleaseeee

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: How much $ needed to upgrade from a grey plaster to Pepp

We just put Mini Pebble in our 96 foot perimeter free form play pool, as part of a remodel. It cost us $5500. This included chipping out the old finish, and handling the startup with the new finish.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: How much $ needed to upgrade from a grey plaster to Pepp

keep in mind plaster is very smooth, quartz is a bit rougher and pebble tech is even rougher. We felt that pebble sheen was still rougher than quartz.

We are ok with our diamondbrite, but we swam in the neighbors plaster pool this weekend and I had forgotten how totally smooth plaster is.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating