Pool Service Business

Miscanthus

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2009
I am thinking of providing a one man(me) pool service. Mainly checking pool chemistry, applying chemicals, etc. Any suggestions from anyone who is familiar with this type of business. How much should I charge, how much to markup chemicals etc. Thanks for any suggestions.

Roy

There are several ways to approach this kind of business. I like the fixed monthly price whatever it takes to keep the water in balance approach, but many companies go with the fixed cost for a visit plus detailed charges for anything even remotely non-standard approach. By charging one price regardless, or even offering a discount when there are problems, you get paid when the pool is looking good. If you know what you are doing that can make for very happy customers. Otherwise you are in the getting paid extra when something goes wrong business, which can lead to conflicts. Pricing varies quite a bit from place to place. Call around to a couple of companies in your area and get price quotes to see what the going rate in your area is.

Some state require you to have a liscense to do electrical work and carry an insurance along side the liscense, not having that could get you serious fines... Check with your state and city on what licenses you will need... Donjust chemicals can get you in to more trouble than it's worth unless you do everything or nothing, not one person in my area will do chemcial only anymore.. I don't believe in buying routes either nothing makes the customers stay with you so you could just waste money, get all your own customers will take time but can be done.

Posted from IPhone

Here's what a guy we do some work for does (and I think it is brilliant!): He charges $48.00 a month (going rate here is about $100.00 a month for regular service), and all he does is balance chemicals. He does not brush or skim the pool, explaining to the customer that for the money they are saving each month they can do that once a week. He is also in a buying group to buy his chems in bulk, saving him money (he also has us R/O his pools to lower chem consumption costs and save money).

You might think that is a tough way to make a living, but he has 1,500 accounts! Quick math on that many accounts equals $72,000 a month :shock: Obviously he is not a one man band, but you can see the logic!

Good luck :goodjob:

D35 is the License you need if you live in California. Doing pool service. Taking a water chem class would be a good idea too.

Not to many threads about Pool service business. But we all have 1 or 5. haha. Good luck

Blue42 said:
If you have 1500 accounts. You will need 15 trucks and 15 guys working for you. More like 150k a month if average price is $100. Big money!!!!!!!
Considering 15 full time employees + owner, that figure is not as big as it seems...but nothing to sneeze at either. :wink:

Blue42 said:
If you have 1500 accounts. You will need 15 trucks and 15 guys working for you. More like 150k a month if average price is $100. Big money!!!!!!!

He has 6 guys in the field. They do about 40-50 pools a day. It's pretty easy if all you're doing is adding chems!

If all your work trucks are Paid. 15 guy's monthly 30k a month, Shop 1500 month, Office misc 1000 month, So your overhead would be able 33k a month. If you have 1500 accounts and it was an average of 100k a month gross. You are still Way above your profit margin after taxes. I would not be complaining.

I have a hard time believing your guy's are doing 40-50 pool's a day. Are those route all Chem only? With no adding chemicals? Every pool owner knows you go threw CL like crazy in the summer months. I have 68 customers and i do them all myself in 3 days. 5k a month is great for a 1 man show. Best of luck to you guy's. Big money to all !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.