Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fine particles

1. Back To Top    #1

Roseville, CA

Fine particles

Is my cartridge filter supposed to filter silts in the water? I don't think the net on polaris 280 is capturing it.
    I notice some sand like deposits on stairs. When I sweep it with brush, water got cloudy and it dissipated into deep end.

I am guessing that I am supposed to stirred up often so silts accumulating on stairs will be picked up by the cartridge filter, right? Do I need a separate vacuum to get rid of these?

Thanks in advance.
    22000G Oblong shape IG pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter
    Gray Plaster
    Emerson Threaded Energy Efficient Full-Rate 1.5HP
    Booster pump: Polaris PB4-60

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Fine particles

Yes, you need a vacuum. The filter can only filter what ends up in the skimmer or drain, so if it settles out before it reaches the skimmer, it sits on the bottom.

Brushing your pool is a good idea anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

North Texas

I was wondering the same thing. We have a beautiful cedar tree near that pool that we have discovered is a love/hate relationship. Great tree, hate the stupid tiny needles that fall in the pool.
    So, in addition to the polaris, should we brush or vacuum or both? Been trying to figure out if we need to get a pool vac. We did discover the wall whale back when we have algae & I was sweeping the pool everyday...those are GREAT!
    Makes brushing much easier.
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,

4. Back To Top    #4

Dallas, TX

Quote Originally Posted by venticoffee
    Is my cartridge filter supposed to filter silts in the water? I don't think the net on polaris 280 is capturing it.
    A sand/silt bag is available for the polaris that works very well. Not sure that is an answer to your question, but it will certainly help.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280