Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing a light when I replace the liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing a light when I replace the liner

I will be installing a new vinyl liner this spring, and I want to add a light to the deep end of my 16 x 32 pool. Is this a DIY job, and what type of light is recommended? I can do basic electrical, but this one scares me. Thanks for any insight.

Ken
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl Pool
    Hayward C1200 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward 1HP 2 Speed SuperPump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing a light when I replace the liner

Is there an existing light niche already built into the pool wall?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Installing an underwater light in an in-ground pool without an existing niche is more complex that most DIY types will want to tackle, though it is possible. To install an underwater light you need access to both sides of the pool wall. Typically it is very difficult to get access to the outside of the pool wall on an in-ground pool, as it is often underneath the deck. There are also a variety of special electrical wiring rules that apply to underwater lights. Following all of them requires a good understanding of the version of the electrical code in your area. All of that can be figured out. Still, it is a significant project, requiring some time for research and a fair bit of digging, but it is not really difficult in the sense that it doesn't require any special skills that take a while to master.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Is there an existing light niche already built into the pool wall?
    No existing light niche there, I would have to install it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Installing an underwater light in an in-ground pool without an existing niche is more complex that most DIY types will want to tackle, though it is possible. To install an underwater light you need access to both sides of the pool wall. Typically it is very difficult to get access to the outside of the pool wall on an in-ground pool, as it is often underneath the deck. There are also a variety of special electrical wiring rules that apply to underwater lights. Following all of them requires a good understanding of the version of the electrical code in your area. All of that can be figured out. Still, it is a significant project, requiring some time for research and a fair bit of digging, but it is not really difficult in the sense that it doesn't require any special skills that take a while to master.
    Thanks for the info, I am not sure I want to tackle the light project myself. I will get some price quotes before I proceed.

6. Back To Top    #6

As a pro, I would tell you you no thank you. It would require replacing a wall panel if it's available. Is it work the thousands of dollars it would cost to do that? The decking and coping, if replacements are available, would go and possibly require moving supports. That's a LOT of digging.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Actually, it's not too hard to retro in a light. It's easier if you remove a section of deck for better access, but it can be done by tunneling. You don't need to replace the panel, just cut a hole in it.

While you could put in a standard niche, it'd be easier to use a nicheless light (like the AquaLuminII).

Hope this post was a little 'enlightening'
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I had forgotten about the Aqualumin II. A very reasonable alternative.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.