Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gravel in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Gravel in pool

Courtesy of the utility tree trimming crew dragging stuff through our yard from the part next door, we now have a bunch of pea gravel in our pool.

We have tried using our regular pool vacuum but it won't pick the stuff up - it's too heavy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Patricia

IG Plaster pool, hayward pumps - main one and one for the sweep - which won't pick up the gravel either
    only problem is the gravel!
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

Sacramento, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gravel in pool

Try using a pool Leaf rake
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not sure what that is. Do you have a link to a picture of one maybe? When I tried googling it I got a lot of different things that said they were some version of that.
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

Sacramento, CA

4. Back To Top    #4

It's basically a net on a frame that you can use to scoop up stuff off the bottom.

Here's one example of a pool leaf rake.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Pea gravel shouldn't pose a problem for your vac.

Have you tried putting all suction to the vac (usually you'd leave the MD or other suction port partially open so the vac head won't stick to the floor)? If you have full suction on the line you're vacuuming through, briskly move the vachead back and forth over 1 piece of gravel - the idea is to stir up the piece so that the suction will pick it up, once it's stirred up off the floor, the vac WILL take it (it sure beats diving to get the gravel )

The leafrake will also work, I prefer the ones that have the rubber flap, they seem to do a better/ easier job of getting things off the bottom.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)