Sand "leaking" into pool

jwgillis

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2008
Yuma, AZ
I am replacing the sand in my sand filter as sand from the filter is "leaking" back into my in-ground fiberglass pool. I wiil replace the laterals as I am told a broken or split lateral is the only way the "sand leak" could occur. While this explanation for my problem does make sense to me I am always fearful when I hear words like "only."

Is there anything else that could cause the "sand leak" that I should also replace to ensure my problem is solved?

If you are certain it's filter sand, the possible causes are:

A cracked latteral
The Up-Pipe from the laterals may be cracked
Too much sand in the vessel.

If it's a different size sand, a return is broken, though sometimes PBs put pool filter sand near inlets and outlets as a cushion against the stress of a backfilling job.

Filter sand is typically short out more than one return inlet, assuming you have more than one.

Scott

Scott,
Thanks for the info. I need to make sure I know what has to be done as the knowledge expected from the pool service companies here in Yuma is not to be trusted ... good workers but poorly trained. Two additional queestions: Is the up-pipe replaceable? Is a new sand filter a better option?

John

The up pipe and Hayward filters is part of the "folding lateral umbrella assembly with up pipe". Remove the multiport, remove the sand and the assembly and replace. It comes complete. If a lateral is broken, they can be unscrewed and replaced, If the up pipe is cracked, the assembly gets replaced. Hayward uses a thin cheap pipe material. It is the main reason I don't like Hayward sand filters.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.