Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand "leaking" into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand "leaking" into pool

I am replacing the sand in my sand filter as sand from the filter is "leaking" back into my in-ground fiberglass pool. I wiil replace the laterals as I am told a broken or split lateral is the only way the "sand leak" could occur. While this explanation for my problem does make sense to me I am always fearful when I hear words like "only."

Is there anything else that could cause the "sand leak" that I should also replace to ensure my problem is solved?
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand "leaking" into pool

If you are certain it's filter sand, the possible causes are:

A cracked latteral
    The Up-Pipe from the laterals may be cracked
    Too much sand in the vessel.

If it's a different size sand, a return is broken, though sometimes PBs put pool filter sand near inlets and outlets as a cushion against the stress of a backfilling job.

Filter sand is typically short out more than one return inlet, assuming you have more than one.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Scott,
    Thanks for the info. I need to make sure I know what has to be done as the knowledge expected from the pool service companies here in Yuma is not to be trusted ... good workers but poorly trained. Two additional queestions: Is the up-pipe replaceable? Is a new sand filter a better option?

John
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

The up pipe and Hayward filters is part of the "folding lateral umbrella assembly with up pipe". Remove the multiport, remove the sand and the assembly and replace. It comes complete. If a lateral is broken, they can be unscrewed and replaced, If the up pipe is cracked, the assembly gets replaced. Hayward uses a thin cheap pipe material. It is the main reason I don't like Hayward sand filters.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Scott,

My Sand Filter is a Tagelus TA 60 ... do all your recommendations still apply?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, except the u[p-pipe won't be broken.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

7. Back To Top    #7

Scott,

Sand being replaced today ... Thanks for getting me "ready."

John