start up 1 wk ago...here's my numbers....

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
pH = 7.4
alkalinity = 70
cya = 0
total hardness = 70
total chlorine = 0
free chlorine = 0

28,000 gallon gunite/plaster pool w/ 60sq ft DE filter

pool store recommended adding

4 lbs alkalinity increaser
3 lbs of shock
20 lbs of calcium hardness increaser

I added 6 7oz chlorine pucks to the chlorinator on Sat night and set it all the way up...still not registering any chlorine levels. Are the above recommendations appropriate for a brand new plaster pool? How critical is the calcium harness increaser right now? our harness reading was 0 on Sunday, now it's 70.

A new plaster pool will normally bring the alkalinity and calcium levels up all by it's self as the plaster cures. If you add any now it will end up being too high in a few weeks.

CYA can test as zero when it is as high as 15 (or perhaps 20). I would just keep on using the trichlor pucks for a while till you have a good CYA level.

smuggs...welcome to TFP. Glad you came over to check this out from Gardenweb....I think you will like it. JasonLion is one of the very very very smart people on this site....follow his advice and you will be in good hands.

Ls

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.