Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical equivalents.

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical equivalents.

Brisbane floods have subsided, and cyclone Yasi has passed (though many in Queensland have lost everything, and Victoria is still copping damage). Yasi was similar in size and intensity to Katrina, but fortunately the areas it crossed were less populated and less vulnerable than with Katrina. One person died because he took shelter in a small room with a generator running to provide power and was asphyxiated. Two are missing after their boat capsized. Remarkably little loss of life.

On to pool stuff...

When I tested the pool yesterday, the chlorine had dropped to 0.5ppm.
    Grandchildren were expected for a swim so I wanted a quick fix. Pool shop recommended one of their products BioGuard Lite Pool Oxidiser - (Active constituents: sodium dichloroisocyanurate (37.2%) and Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate (10%)).

I tested again this morning with the following results:

Temp = 30C
    FC = 5
    pH = 7.6
    TA = 50
    CH = 100
    CYA = 40

To increase the TA I added 2kg of BioGuard Alkalinity Increaser (100% Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate)

I'll check again tomorrow to see how it responds.

Unfortunately it is difficult to buy simple chlorine bleach and the pool shop didn't want to provide liquid chlorine (probably because they were too busy to mess about filling a container, and perhaps it is less profitable.
    Can anyone explain why they might recommend sodium dichloroisocyanurate as a quick and simple way to increase the chlorine level?
    Similarly, is there a simple alternative to Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate as an Alkalinity Increaser?

Any feedback or comment appreciated.
    48,000 litre outdoor in-ground pebble/plaster pool; EAQUIP self-cleaning saltwater chlorinator and controller; Waterco S-800 Sand Filter (420 litres per minute capacity); Aquanaut Pool-Vac cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical equivalents.

>> .. alternative to Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate as an Alkalinity Increaser?

already considered sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate ?

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mondo

Similarly, is there a simple alternative to Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate as an Alkalinity Increaser?

They dont sell baking soda in Brisbane?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can anyone explain why they might recommend sodium dichloroisocyanurate as a quick and simple way to increase the chlorine level?
    To make money. dichlor will raise CYA pretty quick, so unless that is your objective you shouldn't use it.
    Alkalinity Up is simply baking soda, same as you buy in the grocery store.

EDIT: bk beat me to it!
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

>> .... baking soda in Brisbane?

hmmm..... Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), or sodium hydrogen carbonate is also known as baking soda

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    To make money. dichlor will raise CYA pretty quick, so unless that is your objective you shouldn't use it.
    OK, Thanks for the feedback. I have a supply of baking soda but wanted to confirm that it can be used for Alkalinity Increaser. I'll use it in future. As I suspected, they mis-name it Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate because if they called in Sodium Bicarbonate nobody would buy it from the pool shop.

On chlorine, given the difficulty of purchasing simple liquid chlorine bleach in the supermarket, would it be best to simply press the pool shop to supply liquid chlorine? (or find one who will?). Is there another simple way to boost chlorine?

Thanks again....
    48,000 litre outdoor in-ground pebble/plaster pool; EAQUIP self-cleaning saltwater chlorinator and controller; Waterco S-800 Sand Filter (420 litres per minute capacity); Aquanaut Pool-Vac cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

On chlorine, given the difficulty of purchasing simple liquid chlorine bleach in the supermarket, would it be best to simply press the pool shop to supply liquid chlorine? (or find one who will?). Is there another simple way to boost chlorine?
    Liquid chlorine is the best bet. If it is so hard to find you might consider getting a SWG, then you won't have to worry about it.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

Liquid chlorine is the best bet. If it is so hard to find you might consider getting a SWG, then you won't have to worry about it.
    Thanks. I have a SWG, but sometimes it needs a boost, like after the continuous heavy rain we have had recently.
    If liquid chlorine is the best way to do it, I'll just find a pool shop that will supply it.
    Cheers

9. Back To Top    #9

[quote=Ray Mondo]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Ray Mondo":1m83p7fy
    Thanks. I have a SWG, but sometimes it needs a boost, like after the continuous heavy rain we have had recently.
    If liquid chlorine is the best way to do it, I'll just find a pool shop that will supply it.
    Cheers[/quote:1m83p7fy]
    ...but that raises another question. I am wondering if there's an easy way to test salt levels?
    My chlorinator has lo salt and hi salt indicators, but they don't seem very accurate or reliable.

Cheers,

10. Back To Top    #10

There are salt test strips, or Taylor makes a drop-based test kit for testing salt levels.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Read the back of baking soda boxes, Bicarb is bicarb but baking soda sometimes has wheatflour, sodium pyrophosphate and cram of tartar (or just chuck in some flour and eggs and make a cake)

Try looking for commercial cleaning companies if you can't get chlorine easily they usually have commercial strength at good prices.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by teapot
    Read the back of baking soda boxes, Bicarb is bicarb but baking soda sometimes has wheatflour, sodium pyrophosphate and cram of tartar (or just chuck in some flour and eggs and make a cake)
    Baking soda is sodium bicarb the world over. Your thinking of baking POWDER. That contains bicarb, cream of tartar, etc.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

Your thinking of baking POWDER.
    and the two are **NOT** interchangeable.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    And just maybe I was joking, the cake making should have been a clue. I now realise that without a or or this slips by un noticed.........

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by teapot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    And just maybe I was joking, the cake making should have been a clue. I now realise that without a or or this slips by un noticed.........
    'ts OK. I got it!