Caution: Superflo specification issue

novca

Aug 20, 2009
SF Bay Area
I recently ordered a Pentair Superflo SF-NI-3/4FE (348022) single speed pump. The specifications on the Pentair website say this is a 3/4 HP 1.25 SF motor giving a SFHP of 0.95. The label on the original box says exactly the same thing.

However, when I opened up the box and checked the data plate on the motor, I found something different. The data plate confirms that it's a SF-NI-3/4FE (348022), but it also says it's a 3/4 HP 1.67 SF motor giving a SFHP of 1.25. Hmmm.

So the part numbers from the spec sheet, the box, and the motor all match -- but the power information and current draw on this motor indicate that it's one size bigger than it's supposed to be. Obviously something is screwed up somewhere in Pentair's system. I called Pentair, but they told me they had never heard of this before.

I called my supplier (A1 Pool Parts, which has been fantastic, by the way). The pulled several more pumps out of their original boxes and found the same thing I did. Very strange. They're going to send me a new pump (SF-NI-1/2FE, 348021) and take this one back, but I'm still stuck with no way to circulate my water for several days while awaiting the new pump.

Bottom line: Be careful if you're ordering a Pentair Superflo single speed pump. The specifications listed for the 348022 are wrong on the Pentair website and on the actual box that contains the pump. The motor is one size bigger than they say it is.

Bama Rambler said:
Why are you sending it back? Because of power usage?

You got a better deal than you thought and I bet the impeller is the same so your power usage is gonna be the same even with the bigger motor.

Yeah, I'm downsizing for power usage. My current pump (a Pentair Pinnacle at 1.25 SFHP) was way too big.

If I had a way to verify the impeller was the same I guess I could have kept it. However, even if I asked Pentair about the impeller and they told me it was the same, I'm not sure I'd be too inclined to blindly trust them given my recent experience. It's easier to return it unused than to run it for a few months and then try to return it...

Thanks for the caution. I'm researching pumps and saw the 1/2 and 3/4 hp specs had the same amperage and SFHP. But the head was better on the 3/4, so I was leaning towards the 3/4. After seeing your post and looking into the Whisperflo, I see that the 3/4 Superflo you received matched the 3/4 Whisperflo specs. I suspect that someone entered the data wrong into the Superflo table and it should look more like the Whisperflo table.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.