Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water line tile considerations....thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water line tile considerations....thoughts?

So, we are trying to figure out the main three "color elements" of a major pool construct...interior color, waterline tile color, and decking color. I am not color blind but might as well be...

I think we are doing Aqua Blue Pebblesheen, and some kind of basic lace acrylic deck - medium brown color.

Started looking at tile, and holy cow Batman, I can't believe all the colors, styles, and TEXTURES to choose from!

So my question is this: I imagine that smoother is better - much easier to scrub crud off, correct? We like the rainforest terra blue style/color from Nobile: http://www.nobletile.com/rainforestR.html but they are a bit pricey. They are not super smooth but much more than some of them that feel like, well, sand paper! They aren't glassy smooth either like some - have a few smooth indents I guess I would call them.

We will also be doing tile on our sunken bar ledge where four in-water stools will be. The top of the stools will also be tiled.

Any considerations here we should be aware of? Hope to go look at some tiles/decking combinations this weekend!

Thanks,
    RK
    RawhideKid
    Phoenix, AZ (Goodyear actually)
    Pool finally complete!!! IG, 40,635 gallons w/2080 gallon spa with 16 jets. Pool is 40x21 ft with 10 ft deep end; two baja steps
    Pentair Cartridge filter - 520 SQ. PebbleSheen interior. 2 Pentair VS pumps. Pentair Intellichlor SWG
    4 deck jets, 2 bubblers, fake rock grotto/waterfall with wet steps. 3 surrounding half-pergola's with misters in future
    Sunken covered ramada with cabinets, fridge, and wood fireplace. (soon to have big screen TV)
    Basically, 14 years of planning on how to survive this blistering AZ summer!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water line tile considerations....thoughts?

We are in the same boat. It's hard to pick all the different colors and materials at the same time. The 3D software my PB uses only has 1 color of pavers.

The tile store had SO many styles, colors and sizes of tile. They had a VERY cool glazed tile that looked like Amber colored Glass (but it was Porcelain). It looked cool, but didn't fit with the style and theme of our pool.

I like this tile too: http://www.nobletile.com/coral.html

But most of our pool has 12-18" of tile and that pattern might look a little funny stacked 2 high.

Like this: http://www.nobletile.com/ocean.html

The hand holds in the last photo are weird too. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that...

In the end we picked a more neutral color blue tile with some earth tones mixed in. I think it will work well with a Medium brown coping and a lighter brown decking. We also went with 3" tiles, because I didn't like the look of 2 x 6" tiles on the back side of the pool. I'll delete the photo if you don't want it in here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Nightmare, that looks nice. We ended up with the Rainforest tile, and so far, it looks really nice. Getting positive comments from people already, and the pool doesn't even have water in it yet! Not sure how it'll all blend, since the cool deck isn't complete yet, but we'll know soon!

RK
    RawhideKid
    Phoenix, AZ (Goodyear actually)
    Pool finally complete!!! IG, 40,635 gallons w/2080 gallon spa with 16 jets. Pool is 40x21 ft with 10 ft deep end; two baja steps
    Pentair Cartridge filter - 520 SQ. PebbleSheen interior. 2 Pentair VS pumps. Pentair Intellichlor SWG
    4 deck jets, 2 bubblers, fake rock grotto/waterfall with wet steps. 3 surrounding half-pergola's with misters in future
    Sunken covered ramada with cabinets, fridge, and wood fireplace. (soon to have big screen TV)
    Basically, 14 years of planning on how to survive this blistering AZ summer!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Water line tile considerations....thoughts?

We went with a brighter blue tile also - very similar to the rainforest (without the darker beige coloring in it) - our travertine was lighter, almost white, so we picked a tile that had a very light beige color accenting the blue - our pebble sheen is aqua blue. I think you will really like the aqua blue you have - makes the pool jump out at you and look refreshing!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve
    Deep in the Heart......errrr HEAT of Texas
    20k gallon gunite formal

5. Back To Top    #5

This is waht we went with, the "lagoon" pattern.

http://www.fujiwatiles.com/product.asp?plid=78.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you looked at NTP they have a tile called Verona, 3 different colors we are going with the Turquoise
    Woodp721
    15K gal. 12X80 plaster-stonescape aqua white, buff leuders coping, Verona Borba Turquoise w/Borba Turquoise Deco

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Woodp721 View Post
    Have you looked at NTP they have a tile called Verona, 3 different colors we are going with the Turquoise
    Cool, we're going with the Verona as well, but it'll be the Tavora Tan color. When the Mrs. seen that one, she was pretty much set on it right away...lol!
    34x22 freeform, 94'/20,200 gallons, 3.5' to 6', Mini Pebble Aqua Blue, 8' lagoon shelf(18"), A&A in-floor, Venturi skimmer, A&A channel drain, 3 returns, VS3050 pump, Pentair CC420 filter, AQR 15 Salt System, 1 Intellibrite 5G light, 1 globrite in shelf, Heat Siphon Z575HP, 24" sheer decent, Decking will be stained salt finished concrete