Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Superflo install help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Superflo install help

I'm swapping out pool pumps and ran into a bit of an issue. Hopefully someone on the forum might be able help me track down the problem.

The original pump, an Anthony Pools pump (model AR205-L), initially installed in 1990, has finally been retired.

The replacement, a brand new Pentair SuperFlo (Product number:348023 Model number: SF-NI-1AE), has been installed but hums / does not kick over when started.

Both pumps are rated for 115/230v. The Anthony Pools pump has a physical voltage switch that was set to 230v. The Pentair doesn't seem to have a physical voltage toggle. I'm guessing it may be auto-sensing.

I figured the switch over would be as simple as swapping the three wires (black/red/green, two hot and a ground) from the old pump to the new. After wiring the ground and the two hot wires (which according to the internet, don't have to be wired to a specific terminal as both wires are hot) the pump hums (doesn't kick over) and turns itself off after about 10-15 seconds.

I've only let this cycle happen a handful of times as I don't want to damage the motor. Using a volt meter both lines appear to be providing ~115 at the pump. The impeller isn't clogged. I'm guessing the problem might be with the capacitor.

Are there any other angles I should consider when troubleshooting this pump?
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Superflo install help

Usually you wire the pump a little differently for 115 or 220, and that often involves swapping a wire or clip on the motor. There should be a drawing on the end cap, on the motor or in the manual.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Most of the time dual voltage motors come wired for the higher voltage. As John said, there should be a wiring diagram on the nameplate of the motor.

When you say both lines appear to be 115 volts is that line to neutral or line to line?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, make sure the motor shaft turns relatively freely by hand when the motor is turned off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The shaft turns freely by hand.

Line to neutral shows 115 for each hot.

The older pump has a plastic switch that was slid to the 230v position. The replacement pump (Pentair Superflo) seems to determine voltage via the B and A connection points.

The wiring diagram on the side of the motor states:

Low Voltage
    Brown <---> B
    0<--------> L1
    White <---> L2
    0<--------> A

High Voltage
    White<---> B
    0<-------> L1
    0<-------> L2
    Brown<---> A

The pump suggests it ships with 230v as the default wiring scheme. This looks to be the case as both B and A have wires originating from within the pump, matching the high voltage diagram above.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like you got a bad pump from the start (pun intended).
    Since it's so new, I'd be returning it for a replacement.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Is the hot to hot voltage 0 or 230VAC? If it's 0, both your hots are on the same line side leg.

There should be 3 connections for a single speed. A ground, a hot at the top and another hot on the bottom for 230V.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

L1 (hot) to L2 (hot) voltage displays as 234v.