Plaster problems, 3 months old!!!

Nov 7, 2010
We just noticed a lot of the spots in the deep end of our new gunite/plaster pool are actually areas of plaster peeling off. 20-30 spots so far, and many plaster flakes caught in the cleaner bag. How common is this and how is it usually resolved by pb's. They have been a good company to wok with and I'm sure it will be repaired properly, but just want to know what to expect when I call them next week....it's 0 deg right now!

No, we were encouraged to leave it open and wanted to anyway, so we did. No problems so far, the water is easy to balance, we're just getting everything tuned in for spring....what a setback! The dark spots are 1/16 deep and very rough.

IMG_1404.jpg

PoolGuyNJ said:
I trust you are watching the chems with your high quality kit, right? Especially the pH, alk and CH!

Scott

Oh yes Scott...like a hawk! ph-7.8, ch-290, ta-fluc 80-110, cya-40.

We're really need to know how they repair this kind of thing: a complete drain, removal and replaster, drain and re-coat, or just patching all the spots.... we don't know what to expect/demand from the pb for a proper repair that will last.

Leasa

I had found this article a few weeks ago http://www.poolhelp.com/handouts/oB_Fla ... andout.pdf

Not sure if this is your issue?

Scott's suggestion may certainly work, but given the issues, I would at a minimum ask for extended warranty on the finish, in writing or a replaster. If that's ocurring only after 3 months, I wonder what it would look like in 3 years? Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing.

I saw that link yesterday! It looks just like that only the spots show up darker. It does look isolated to the bowl area so far. Shall we call it "delamination?" So what do you think will have to be done to make it all better?

Delamination is when the plaster comes off the gunite shell. This is exactly what that pdf described. Contact the PB. He'll call the plasterer unless they are one in the same. This is spalling and flaking from excess working creating too much moisture in the cream at the surface.

I assume you brushed the pool daily when it was 1st filled after the plaster, right?

Scott

Tough to say...I'd love to see them replaster for you, but if they can fix it, in accordance with your warranty terms and the outcome satifies your expectations, then that would be acceptable...OK, what I just wrote is kind of vague but you paid for a new pool and IMO it should look like a new pool, from a workmanship/materials standpoint as long as you hold up with your end of the agreement, from a maintenace standpoint. Just keep the chemistry in check and it will limit the PB from using an exuse :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, we were/are religious about brushing and pool care in general. It's our new baby!

Thanks for the replies, I just want to have my ducks in a row before I call them and know what an acceptable "repair" would entail. They subbed out the plaster so I'm sure they'll be all over it. I'll keep you posted and if anyone else has any plaster repair input, please advise!

don't know your location or weather conditions when this work was done but my directions were to keep pH at very close range of 7.0 - 7.2 for 30 days and then very close to 7.4-7.6 for the next 30

in my case, the 3 days of final surface work was done with temps close to 82 F and humidity at around 60 %

the only things I did for the first 30 days were muriatic acid and liquid chlorine (SWCG=Off), very slowly adjusting for alkalinity, borate, cyanuric acid after the first 30 (it took over 2 months to get the last 3 where I wanted)

I told the pb about our problems, they sent to plaster sub over to look at it. He said all the peeling in the bowl area is from filling the pool to quickly after he plastered it. He said we should have left it for 4-5 hours before starting the fill. But thats between him and the pb, I started the hose when I was told to by the pb. Anyway he said the pool has to be drained so they can sand out the bad spots as Scott said.

So my amateur concerns are; creating other plaster issues having the pool empty so they can repair it, more spots continuing to appear where it hasn't started to peel yet, and shortening the life of the plaster or weakening it by thinning it. So my question for you plaster gurus is, is this an acceptable repair process, or should I be pushing for a re-plaster?

Hello, I am not sure if this will help or shed some light. I live in McKinney, a home built in a previous farm land. Our pool is only 5 foot deep and we hit soft rock after digging about 3 foot.

We had our pool plastered, new pool, and after 2-3 weeks, we noticed a lifting and cracking of the plaster, about one foot by 2 foot, by the main drain. It was so severe, we were losing water, about 1/2 a day for a 7500 gallon pool. Then, the plaster began chipping away. I will say, I lost some trust in my PB and called on another to view the situation. Please note, the Plaster company has a very good rep in the area.

Well, I got stories from poor prep of the pool to weeping of underwater through the ganite. To me, they are one of the same and I didn't buy a pool from a garage sale, rather I bought a pool that should stand the test of times, or at least longer than 3 weeks. Now, there is more to this story of oversights (coming from MFG, this is my job, I find issues), however, after working with the PB, I explained, basically what I learned from the internet. Funny, it is a bit like WebMD. Should be called PoolMD because I can tell you, after reading everything, I questioned if a pool is worth all these headaches. Ha!

Anyways, after talking with a number of people, both builders, as well as ours, the decision was made, which was the right decision, to drain the pool and replaster. There are issues with this, however, but the pool company followed through.

So, today was the re-plastering. I still have many questions of the weeping water, the rain we have had over the past week and the pool continued to fill through the "plug" and the drilled holes, as well as the "weeping" area in the cement.

This is/was a frustrating and long task, but I believe when you have a young pool, the PB should stick to his contact and word and provide you a new pool that is not defective after 3 weeks, or in your case, 3 months. If this PB has pride in his business, then good things will happen.

My fingers are crossed that my story will turn out positive, but as you can tell, I am a bit concerned. I hope this story helps you and I would really ride the PB to give you what you paid for, a good product. (assuming you keep the chemicals in check, etc.)

Best of luck, but if there are several areas, I would too, be a bit concerned and patching is not the answer. Sanding, in my opinion, again, is questionable, because it should just be a short fix (we were told the same until the cracks formed and water was draining).

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.