Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pavers as deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Pavers as deck

Have I been steered wrong again. When I suggested using pavers around the deck of my pool, the PB indicated to me that you could not run pavers using polymeric sand as the final filler. Any thoughts? What kind of problem would you run into if you did use pavers and fill with polymeric sand?
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pavers as deck

We love it here in the NE. It stays put. Sweep it in, vibrate it and wet it. Done.

Don't use it in a sand filter.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can't think of any reason...I would ask your PB why not?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea, ask him why? I have a couple thousand sq feet of pavers around my house and pool. Polymeric sand all around
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Some of the things that hop out of a PB's mouth can be simply stunning. We heard some doozies from ours, but he did install pavers and polymeric sand. :P

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool builders aren't hardscape landscapers, for the most part.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the responses. I've got a story to tell, but not quite time yet.
    TFT-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

From this post and others your PB is starting to sound suspicious. All of our decks are finished with Polymeric sand. I do pavers on a bout 85% of my projects.

9. Back To Top    #9

I really like your website and some of your work also.

Suspicious? I have other choice words, but my dad has always told me to keep those words to myself. Most of the time I listen to my dad even at the ripe age of 52. I feel somewhat like a Holmes on Homes episode, but it really isn't that bad. As an example, they had taken at least 4 water samples from our pool prior to winterization and never gave us any feedback. Since I had my own water tester, I just kept doing it myself. I take a lot of this to heart since it is what I see each and every day. I really don't know how to describe this experience. It hasn't been what I would term pleasant. I've never built a house or anything of this magnitude, so this was my first experience and I've got a REALLY GOOD friend who is a contractor who initially wanted to build the pool with me. If we could only have a second chance, it would have gotten done much faster and any mistakes would have been my own, which I'm more than willing to engage.

I've taken MANY-MANY-MANY pictures and documented the entire construction with day-to-day progress. I've got a website with all of that, but just don't want to advertise it quite yet. I certainly want people to go through it later to learn from my experiences. I want to get the pool open and final inspection completed before I get that out, so sometime in the Spring.
    TFT-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

LOL...My father taught me the same and "Suspicious" was the best I could come up with. The beauty of pavers, especially in your area, is the fact that they will move with the freeze and thaws of your seasons. Be prepared to level them every now and then but at least you won't have to look at unsightly cracks.

11. Back To Top    #11

I haven't found freeze-thaw is what makes a problem, it's more of a clay not removed deeply enough issue.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.