Brian & Dorie, Phoenix

Welcome! :wave:

I suggest you start by reading Pool School - the link's on the upper right of every page. And get a decent test kit - they're discussed in Pool School, too. Order one right now, and get a speedstir at the same time, because where you live, you'll be doing the CH test a lot, and your wrists will give out. The real key to a troublefree pool is regular, consistent, accurate testing and dosing. And for that, you need your own test kit.

And besides, the first time you ask a question, the first response will be "Can you post a full set of test results?" :mrgreen:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I've a couple things today;

First, the water analysis the store did
FAC: 5
PH: 7.6
TA: 120
CYA: 200
TDS: 2700

I was advised by the local store to drain half the pool and re-fill. I've got the pool half emptied and will re-fill after I've got the bottom vacuumed (I've got almost all of the debris out of it).

In the mean time, I need to order a testing kit AND we're looking for a used automated vacuum.

We found this on our local CL:
Used Polaris 280 $200

I asked:
Can you proivde more details on the pool cleaner, please? How old is it, any repairs done recently, any receipts for parts/ repairs? Also, I'm reading on line that this model may need a booster pump, did you have to do that with yours?

The response:
not the 280/ in very good condition/ no repairs/ less than 2 yrs if intersted please call for pick up thank you

What do you think, both about the water and the vacuum? I had considered the Hayward pool vac but there's so many mixed reviews. We're really at a loss as to which way to go on the vac.

Thanks again!

B&D

The Polaris 280 seems to be a great machine. It's a pressure side cleaner requiring a booster pump....do you have the booster installed?

Draining half your water is a great start. You need to get the CYA down around 50 to make things all work well so test again after you refill from this drain and be prepared to drain half again if your CYA is 100 or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's only one caveat to those numbers. The pool stores are notoriously wrong especially when testing CYA. You did good by draining half but I suggest ordering a TF-100 test kit and a speedstir and do your own testing before you do too much else. It'll give you a good starting point and we can help get it in line once we have good numbers to go by.

duraleigh said:
The Polaris 280 seems to be a great machine. It's a pressure side cleaner requiring a booster pump....do you have the booster installed?

Draining half your water is a great start. You need to get the CYA down around 50 to make things all work well so test again after you refill from this drain and be prepared to drain half again if your CYA is 100 or so.

I've no booster pump, just the single pool pump. I guess I'm off to see what a booster pump costs...

Bama Rambler said:
There's only one caveat to those numbers. The pool stores are notoriously wrong especially when testing CYA. You did good by draining half but I suggest ordering a TF-100 test kit and a speedstir and do your own testing before you do too much else. It'll give you a good starting point and we can help get it in line once we have good numbers to go by.

Thanks Bama, a good test kit is on the short list of things to get done now.

Ok, just ordered the TF100 test kit. I also bought replacement sand as I noted debris and plant particulates on the sands surface.

After draining half the pool and re-filling several days ago, running the pump and pool vac for several days and keeping the pool covered after re-filling, todays water sample is as follows:

FAC: 5+
TAC: 5+
PH: 7.8
TA: 210
CYA: 100+
TDS: 2500-3000

The store associate said to again drain half the pool and re-fill. At this point I've decided to leave the water as it is, change the sand and perform the tests myself once the kit arrives. We're very much wanting to go the BBB route of water maintenance and, as much as possible, stay away from as many other chemicals as possible.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Brian & Dorie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support