Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Floats - Lots of Cheap or a Few Expensive

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Floats - Lots of Cheap or a Few Expensive

I've been buying the wally world level floats, usually the ones that are under $10, but they don't last long, and seem like even water makes them leak.

I've been looking at the closed cell foam ones instead, but man, they're like $80 each.

Do they sell any floats that aren't so expensive, but don't break after the first week?
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

2. Back To Top    #2

New Jersey

Re: Pool Floats - Lots of Cheap or a Few Expensive

I buy the $30 ones from the pool store in October--almost the only reason I go there. The floats are all Chinese and look the same but the brand name changes. They always have a 2 for 1 sale in the fall so they cost me 15 bucks. I usually get two seasons out of each, barring animal attacks. They seem to last longer if stored inflated.

I tried closed cell, and they don't sink, but they do get ugly and start to disintegrate. I still have one I now use for working under cars, but I wouldn't put in the pool.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.