SWG chlorine output levels?

I was wondering if anybody knew what outputs various swg cells where capable of?
I've found the aquatrol is 0.75 pounds a day, that works out to 28g/hr.
Im specifically looking for outputs of the 2010 intex, and aquarite t-15 and 25 cells.

Reason im looking for them is im upgrading my 2010 intex and want something that can keep up in the summer, with 5-6 hours max run time. My 2010 intex had to run for 11hours during the middle of last summer to keep up! Texas sun is bad for chlorine! :?

In the chart that Jason provided the link to, they say that most municipalities require a minimum of 0.04 lb per day per 1000 gallons. Is this a good guideline to follow for SWG output?

If my math is right, then my 16,000 gal. AG pool would need a min. of 0.64 per day. I am looking at the Harward Aqua Rite 25,000 has an output of 0.70 per day and the 40,000 is 1.4 per day.

I have read that it is wise to get a SWG approx twice the size you need for longer cell life, etc. If that is true, I would need the Aqua Rite 40,000 to get that output.

Also, on one online site they sell only one Aqua Rite for above ground pools and it is only up to 18,000 gal. Can I use one of the inground pool SWG on an above ground pool? The ones that are rated through 40,000 are listed as inground models.

I really want to understand all the fine points and make a good decision. Help!

Yes, 0.04 lbs/day is a good baseline. Anything from little lower than that, up to about 2.5 times that much, will work out just fine for most people. If the water temperature is consistently above 90 degrees or your pump run time is very short, say under 5 hours/day, you will probably want a larger unit than that.

Yes, getting a SWG sized about double what you really need is very nice and will usually save money in the long run, though it is hardly essential.

Most of the above ground SWGs don't meet code requirements for in-ground pools, though they will work.

FYI. 0.04 pound per 1000 gallons per day is 4.8 ppm Free Chlorine (FC). Most outdoor residential pools lose around 2 ppm FC per day, some lose closer to 3 ppm FC per day, and with bather load or lots of dumped-in organics (e.g. pollen) the chlorine usage can be higher. So the 4.8 ppm FC is a good minimum. Getting a larger cell will have it last longer and the price won't be proportionately higher so generally you want to get a larger cell than you need (within reason).

Thanks Jason and chem geek for the quick replies. I will shoot for something about twice the size of my pool. I assume by your comment that in ground SWG will work for above ground pools.

I am sure once I get started using it I will have more questions. I am interested in adding borates as discussed in other forums on this site.

Thanks again!

The issue with in-ground vs. above-ground SWGs is a question of how things connect and building codes. It is always possible to hook up any SWG to any pool, but it may require several adapters. in-ground SWGs usually assume glued slip fit rigid PVS pipe connections, while above-ground tend to assume clamped hoses. Likewise in-ground SWGs are usually designed to be hardwired, while above-ground SWGs are usually designed to be plugged into an outlet. All of that can be changed around with the appropriate adapters. The code issue has to do with proper bonding, required on most in-ground pools. Not all above ground SWGs make the correct provisions for bonding, which isn't usually required on above-ground pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.