Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remodel - Pebble Sheen

1. Back To Top    #1

Remodel - Pebble Sheen

I just completed a remodel, removing old plaster and installing new pebble sheen surface. (It looks great!)

The pool was filled overnight last night, and here are my test results (pure water - nothing yet added). The pool company is coming out on Monday to do the "startup chemicals" and such. I have several questions.

I do not want to wait until Monday for anything basic I can cover right now, but I do want to wait for anything non-critical that they can supply. I used BBB last year (my first year) and it went fine - I'm a believer and will NOT be using a service past the 30 builder requirement.

FC - 0.0
    CC or TC - 0.0
    pH - 8.2 + (nice and bright color)
    TA - 30
    CH - 40
    CYA - not tested (saving the reagents)
    Water Temp: 50 degrees F

Questions:
    1) I plan to add acid to bring pH from 8.2 to 7.5 and add a jug of bleach to bump up CL to measurable. Any objections/concerns? (Should I bother right now, considering the temperature and that they'll be out on Monday?)

2) They want to add ProTeam Sequesterant. Any concerns?

3) No salt for 30 days, I know. Should I push to get CYA to ~60, anticipating that salt and SWG is my warm weather CL source? I want to go low, in case they plan to use pucks for 30 days.

4) For the Pool Calculator, do I use "Plaster" as my finish type? I was under the impression that Pebble is less sensitive to CH, although scaling is still an item to watch. (Any adjustments I should make from Plaster/SWG values I targeted last year?)

5) Specifically, what should my CH target be? (Assuming a pH target of 7.5 - 7.8 and TA of 70 normally).

6) I assume they will also add for TA, add a CL source and consider CH. Anything else I should expect them to want to do? (I do NOT want any algicide or other funky, non-BBB chemicals.)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ed
    17k in-ground, Pebble Sheen finish (Blue Granite), Solar, two skimmers, split drain.
    IntelliPro VS-3050, IntelliChlor IC40, EasyTouch 4 control system, Easy Touch wired indoor panel.
    300 CuFt cartridge filter. Polaris 380 with booster pump. Two IntelliBrite 5G lights.
    TF100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remodel - Pebble Sheen

Updated signature with latest changes.
    17k in-ground, Pebble Sheen finish (Blue Granite), Solar, two skimmers, split drain.
    IntelliPro VS-3050, IntelliChlor IC40, EasyTouch 4 control system, Easy Touch wired indoor panel.
    300 CuFt cartridge filter. Polaris 380 with booster pump. Two IntelliBrite 5G lights.
    TF100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi there Ed~~

Many of the answers to your questions will be found 1) in Pool School under How To....Start-up New Plaster. The second paragraph there is of utmost importance and 2) at the PebbleTec website under Service and Support on the home page.

Congratulations on your remodel!

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

4. Back To Top    #4

The only thing you should do immediately is get the pH down a little and get a little FC in there. Leave it to the service to adjust the rest.

As for the sequestrant, some PB's require it for the warranty whether it needed or not, so that's a question you'll have to ask them. They may take an assay of the water if it proves metals are not an issue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit