New Orlando Pool - Very confused

jeke11

Jan 28, 2011
I met with a PB and thought I was ready to go, no contract yet, but after reading a lot on this forum I am now unsure of how to proceed. I am planning on building a 575 SF roman style, lap pool with spa. 3ft - 8ft. deep. Variable speed pump, cartridge filter, separate pump for waterfall and for deck jets. SWG, 250,000 BTU gas heater, solar, LED lights and other products list below. Mostly Pentair.

I had the PV3 in-floor cleaning system included in bid but I am reading it doesn't clean well and has maintenance issues.

I had the ozone oxidizer included, but heard its of no use in a residential pool.

I was going to use travertine with a "sharks tooth" finish (PB's words) vs. pavers, but understand that travertine deteriorates quickly. Does anyone ever use tile for pool patios?

Due to the shape of my 2nd floor, the South side won't work for solar except for 2 panels, with 11 others going on the East side. Solar guy told me that was my only option, it maxed out my coverage, and I couldn't go any bigger on the pool. I have a Spanish barrel tile roof and the panels will cover the entire East side. Considering no East exposure and I lose the beauty of the tile roof, is the cost savings over a good heat pump worth it? I will still use gas for spa and backup to heat pump/solar.

thanks for your help!

In Orlando I think that a heat pump would be a better choice. I wouldn't want to cover a beautiful roof with solar panles at any cost savings. For an In-floor the PCC 2000 would be a better choice. Are you putting an enclosure around the pool?

Hope you met more than one PB!

Ozone is wasted money on such a small pool.

Travertine has been a good decking material, even here in the North East with our wide temperature swings.

Tile will be slippery and dangerous. It's too smooth. Kids don't run in the bathroom, a pool is a different story.

An in-floor with an enclosure? A Legend or Legend Platinum is simple enough to use and and less potential uncorrectable issues. If a zone in the floor cracks due to a shift, there goes the system and a potential for a continuous leak. While a PB may say his warranty covers it, if he's gone... If he counters with drains are there and don't leak, this is a lot more rare. In-Floor pop ups plumbing is under restrictive pressure, drains have suction which exerts less force unless it's restricted, difficult to do with today's drain covers. There are also fewer penetrations of the shell.

Can you tell I am not a big fan of In Floor systems? Done properly, they can be a great feature. When they break, it really is a PITA and expen$ive to fix. SCEADU has put them in and has 1st hand knowledge of which systems give the least problems. He's been there and done that for a long time.

Scott

Good info. On the travertine, I had heard it was easily stained and chipped due to its porous nature. Also, if there is a reason the deck needs to be dug up, a paver can just be removed vs. completely destroying the travertine. Is that correct?

PoolGuyNJ said:
Hope you met more than one PB!

Ozone is wasted money on such a small pool.

Travertine has been a good decking material, even here in the North East with our wide temperature swings.

Tile will be slippery and dangerous. It's too smooth. Kids don't run in the bathroom, a pool is a different story.

An in-floor with an enclosure? A Legend or Legend Platinum is simple enough to use and and less potential uncorrectable issues. If a zone in the floor cracks due to a shift, there goes the system and a potential for a continuous leak. While a PB may say his warranty covers it, if he's gone... If he counters with drains are there and don't leak, this is a lot more rare. In-Floor pop ups plumbing is under restrictive pressure, drains have suction which exerts less force unless it's restricted, difficult to do with today's drain covers. There are also fewer penetrations of the shell.

Can you tell I am not a big fan of In Floor systems? Done properly, they can be a great feature. When they break, it really is a PITA and expen$ive to fix. SCEADU has put them in and has 1st hand knowledge of which systems give the least problems. He's been there and done that for a long time.

Scott

While still kind of new to this pool thing I love my in floor system. With how busy my wife and I are to come home to a clean pool every night was wonderful. I do not even own a pool vacuum yet on closing my guy said it was the cleanest pool he had closed this year. Just another opinion to consider I would not build a pool without one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.