Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump seized.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump seized.

My pump has been slow to start recently and now will not go at all. Just hums. i talked with my irrigation guy, who has lots of pump experience, and he advised that while it could probably be repaired, it may be time to get a new pump due to the age of this one. I've had the house/pool for 5 years and have no idea how many years old the pump was when I got it. Pump is Hayward 3/4 hp that looks like the current Super Pump. I'm inclined to order a 3/4 hp Hayward Super Pump, about $300.
    Any thoughts?
    20,000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward DE-3600 filter, Polaris 380, Purex Triton valve 27-1141. North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump seized.

It does sound like it may be time for a new pump. If you are happy with Hayward then it is o.k. to stick with that brand. I would advise a two speed over single speed, then you could run low speed for filtering and high speed for vacuuming. You may be able to find a 3/4 hp two speed that would serve your purpose well.

While you are switching out the pump this would be a good time to reassess your plumbing and pad set up in case there is anything you would like to tweek/change. Maybe add a cut off valve or a waste line before the filter, that kind of thing.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it isn't grinding and the shaft turns freely, it's likely the starter capacitor. About $25.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Where can I get access to the shaft to see if it will turn freely?
    20,000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward DE-3600 filter, Polaris 380, Purex Triton valve 27-1141. North Carolina

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Re: Pump seized

The shaft is locate on the back of the motor in the middle, it could either have a flat cap or a cap that looks like I big nut.. Like Scott said it could be a start capacitor if the motor has been on and humming if you touch it and it's warm that what it is most of the time..

6. Back To Top    #6

my pump is just making a hum. All of this happened after freeze. Is it bad? It is only a year old
    32,000 Gallon in ground Vinyl Pool True Ell
    Intelliflo VS+SVRS Pump, Quad DE80 Filter, Intellichlor IC60, Intellibrite Lights, Intellitouch Control

7. Back To Top    #7

Has it thawed out since it froze? It could be the start capacitor or switch or it could be ice in the impeller.

Kill the power and remove the back cover and try to turn the shaft.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

A belated thanks for the advice earlier. I put in a new starter capacitor and now she runs just fine.
    Perry