Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Solar for Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Solar for Pool

I am looking to get a solar system to heat my pool. I would love any advice and experience any of you have about what is the best brand and installation tips.

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Solar for Pool

Are you installing yourself or having them installed by pros?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I will install it myself. Unless I am convinced otherwise.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have Aquasol panels, made by Solar Depot. They've done well.

Give us some details about your pool, climate and how much room you have for panels and what direction the roof faces.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Give us some details about your pool, climate and how much room you have for panels and what direction the roof faces.
    I would add it would be helpful to also know if they will be roof mounted (then roof type - shingle, tile, metal) or could they be on a ground rack (roof direction is then less important, but takes up yard space, etc.).

Would also help to know details about pump and plumbing size, distance, etc. as being part of the pool details JohnT asked for - like square feet of water surface (asked for clarification - if needed).

There are manuals from the panel OEMs that can be found through Google (or whatever) that should be read, and the Florida Solar Energy Research Center has several documents worth a read as well (if you didn't already know).

I have 250 sq ft of self-installed Heliocol panels, only one year in service, but so far quite a good experience. They (heliocol) have some distinct advantages if you are in a high wind area, but otherwise I think some FAFCO products tend to have slightly higher efficiency ratings. BTW, independently tested and verified ratings for many brands can be found at the solar site above.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

6. Back To Top    #6

They will be roof mounted. I have plenty of roof space and it is south facing. The pool is a free form 23x43 pool with about 35,000 gallons. Southern California, specifically in Corona, CA. It can get pretty windy were I live.
    I have 2" plumbing that I have pre plummed to the area. My pump is a VS3050.

7. Back To Top    #7

FWIW for diy work, I have been using the ebay ones, and have had really good luck with them, it's a decent way to save some serious money. For roof mounting, make sure you do all the math for pump power and the drain systems, etc.
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have Aquatherm Ecosun Solar panels and they seem to do great. We have had then about 10 mths and can't believe that we would be able to live without them. I did some research and quotes on the 3 most popular ones, Fabsfo, Helicoil, and Aquatherm, however the installer gave me a lifetime transferable guarantee on the solar panels and protection from roof leaks. I could not pass up on this. Look at the sig bar to see our solar install.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

9. Back To Top    #9

I mentioned the wind issue since the Florida wind load building code for coastal installations in my area requires hurricane-rated installs (130mph). However, don't think So Cal bldg codes require hurricane force wind considerations.

Given a major brand, I would let a warranty/cost benefit analysis drive the decision.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

10. Back To Top    #10

I just had aquatherm ecosun panels installed too. I'm not sure if you can get those directly or if they only sell through authorized installers?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

I second the recommendation on Aquasol. I installed 6 - 4' x 12' panels on my roof last summer and I'm very happy with them. You can get them online from Best Buy Pool supply at a reasonable price.
    16,000 gallon
    6 - 4'x12' Aquasol solar panels
    inground, plaster pool