Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aquatrol - Self cleaning question

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquatrol - Self cleaning question

I currently have my pump and intex swg running via a intermatic timer. I love the timer and intend to keep it running my equipment. I am aware that the aquatrol has a built in timer, but you are able to set all the time switches to on, and run it via a external timer. However i am concerned about the cleaning cycle.

Does this unit reverse the polarity on a time basis, or number of runs? If its on time there is no problem, if its that it swaps every X number of cycles id have problems as the power would be cut after every cycle.

Id upgrade to the aquarite if needed, but the extra output and price is not really needed for my current, or upgrade plans - currently have apx 8K galons, will be upgrading to apx 15K gallons next year.
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aquatrol - Self cleaning question

The Goldline SWCG products reverse polarity based on time.
    Aquatrol is rated for up to 18,000 gal.
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

3. Back To Top    #3

To expand on what Poolschoolgrad said, it will still self clean just fine with an external timer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

We've got a aquatrol on our agp. I don't understand what the benifit would be to use a timer upstream of the unit. The timer on the unit works fine and the unit is still powered up while the timer is in off mode. You don't have to set all the timer switches to on, there is a timer bypass switch on the timer to "run" full time.
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG
    1 1/2 hp pump, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Aquatrol - Self cleaning question

The 2 main benefits for me are:
    1, intermatic keeps great time and never fails, we get a lot of power spikes and outages, and it's still going strong.
    2, I have my pump, timer, solar controller ect all hardwired with conduit ect, it's a extra expense and work to change it for no reason.
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like you have a plan. You should be happy with the aquatrol, it works well.
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG
    1 1/2 hp pump, sand filter