Pentair Quad DE backwash install

Jan 17, 2011
I just had a backwash valve installed(push pull type) on my Pentair Quad DE filter, my question is- Is it normal to hear a bubbling/gurgling sound coming from the filter after the filter has been shut off?
I did not hear this sound before the valve was installed and just wanted to get advice whether this was normal or is there a problem. The sound is similar to when you put a water jug on an office water dispenser.

San Marcos,California 20K Pool, Pentair DE Above Ground, Pebble Tec, 1/2 HP Whisperflow Pump 160gpm,IntelliChor SWG

If there's not a leak it should sound just like it did before. Adding a backwash valve shouldn't change the way the filter operates or sounds.

Does air get expelled into the pool when the pump starts back up? If not then maybe you just need to purge all the air out of the filter.

Do you have solar or a raised spa? Could be a bad check valve.

Check your sig also. You shouldn't be pumping 160 gpm with a 1/2 HP pump, nor will the filter likely handle it :shock:

Yes, I have solar and yes the pump does expel air when it starts up. I am just wondering why I would hear the air (bubbling sound)when the pump is off and not filtering.
Could the air leak be inside the filter somewhere?

Since you say that you're expelling air whenever the pump starts you have an air leak. sounds like it's probably on the waste side of things. Can you see the discharge of the waste line? It could even be sealing under pressure and leaking under suction.

The solar is a not set to come on right now because of low water temp,Sorry I do not know enough about my pool equipment to answer the other questions.
Should I have a service company inspect it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.