Pump run time and noise?

F500

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2007
Madisonville, LA
Does the filter pump need to run for 24 hrs/day for a FG pool? If not, what are the typical run times. The reason for asking is that the noise factor will determine the location of my equipment. If I can only run the pump during the day, then I can put the equipment near a bedroom window. If the pump needs to run 24/7, then I will need to locate it away from the house.
what do the experts say?

Thanks,

Lee

How long you need to run the pump varies with the size of the pump relative to the size of the pool. Typically builders try to size the pump so that it is run between 8 and 12 hours a day, but there can be substantial variation from there. Another consideration is time of day electrical rates. Some utility companies charge more for electricity during the day than at night.

What Jason said. Also, a couple of other considerations. Don't let them sell you an oversized pump. It doesn't keep your pool cleaner, it costs more to operate, and it's louder. Most fiberglass pools can probably get by with a 1Hp or 3/4HP pump. Also, don't let them pour a concrete pad that is in physical contact with the house foundation, to prevent sound from being coupled in through the foundation.

Another consideration is to get a pump that runs quietly. There are several pumps made nowadays that are marketed as quiet pumps (pentair whisperflo). I have a pentair intelliflo that sits right outside our dining room window and I can barely hear it when it's running. Also, I only run it 8 hrs/day.

Be sure to use a poured concrete pad, not a prefab one. I made this mistake when I relocated the equipment pad a year or two ago. The equipment now sits on one of those lightweight prefab pads like air conditioning condensers often use and it's noisy. While the main pump is one of the newer, quieter ones, the booster pump is really loud. I may replace that pad with a concrete one just to drop a few dB's off the loudness.

Also, if I do replace the pad, I'm going to make it larger so I can build an enclosure around it to further reduce the noise.

Just to add what has already been said, 2 speed and variable speed pumps (Intelliflo) can run at lower speeds which are much quieter than a full speed pump. So I would consider either one.

You are better off running 24 hrs at half speed than 12 hours at full speed. Filters work better, water is constantly circulated and energy consumption is less.

Lee,

I just answered your post on Water World and wanted to chime in on FG run times. I have the 14 x 32 free form pool with slope to 6'. It is about 9500 gallons. I also have a SWG. I run my pump approx 5 hrs a day and have had no issues with my water. The only problem is when I treated stains that knocked my Chlorine to zero and allowed algae breakout. That was the only time I shocked my pool water all summer. There are many variables but that is what I have found works best for me. I run my pump 11am to 4pm because I use a heat pump and that works best in the warmest part of the day.

Ls

Isbarkley,

I think you could get a bit more out of your heat pump if you ran the filter a bit later than 11-4. I don't know exactly where you live in Jersey but typically the maximum temperture occurs later than most people think. I grabbed this graph of Cherry Hill, NJ from 9/10/07 off of www.wunderground.com. It show that the maximum temperture occured at about 4pm. If you ran your pump from 1:30-6:30 you would straddle the temperture peak a bit more.

Kevin

Attachments

• histGraphAll.gif
    histGraphAll.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 177

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe he means that if the filter pump is run during hours that straddle the peak temp time, that the water will be warmer circulating during that time so the heat pump won't have to work as hard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.