PB switch from Hayward to Pentair - Help me find equivalents

For a month in the spring and fall I think we can live with a extra $200 month to use the pool.

"so unless you are one of these people, then I wouldn't bother" Wouldn't bother with what?

mas985 said:
mschmidt33 said:
Since I have never owned a pool I'm not too sure... I believe at this time the only time we will use the gas heater is to keep the pool warm in the spring and fall when solar is not effective enough to keep the pool at the temp we want.

As the temperature cools off, it will be more difficult to keep the pool warm. Even with a solar cover, the pool will lose 3-4 degrees at night which will require about 500k to 700k BTU or 5-7 therms. Twice that without a cover. If you are paying $1/therm, that is $5-$7 per day, $150-$210 per month, to keep the pool heated. Is that something you can live with?

Except for the diehards, most people are not too interested in swimming when the air temperature gets much below 75 degrees, so unless you are one of these people, then I wouldn't bother. To extend the swim season, go with as many panels as you can fit on your roof. This will end up being much less expensive than gas.

Sorry, my point is that if you like to swim when it is cold outside, then by all means, get a heater. But if you are like most people that like to swim only when the air is warm, solar will take care of the heat so don't bother with a heater. In the five years I have owned my pool, I only use the heater for the spa and never used it for the pool.

As for the pump, I meant that you will get back the $350 extra cost for the variable in energy savings. Plus, given what you are spending on the pool, $350 is not that much extra to give you the flexibility that a variable offers. This is especially true with solar. You will be able to fine tune the flow rate for optimal heat transfer and lowest energy costs.

Actaully I am a transplant from the Chicago area so I know what it means to be cold.

Speaking of which, mschmidt33, I just noticed you are in MI. Do you get a lot of cloudy days in the summer? If so, a heater might actually be worth it. Also, if you have cheap electricity, a heat pump might be a better option even though they heat much slower. What do you pay for electricity vs gas?

Count me out of the "most people" crowd :lol:

If it's 70+ outside and the water temp is 68+..."Kids!!!...Pool is open!!" :mrgreen: Granted it may not be the most pleasant experience, but after staring at all this snow all winter, seems like paradise :cheers:

UPDATE: Decided to go VSP and Pentair. Only going to cost me $450 over the current contract price. Seems like a no brainer. Changes below. Any other changes you guys can recommend? Still thinking about the 400BTU upgrade. Also not too thrilled with the bulkyness of the 520547 remote... Should I consider Intellitouch so I can use my phone to control everything?

Automation: Prologic PL-PS-8 to Easy Touch 8
Sanitation: T-Cell-15 to IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator IC40
Pump: Tristar 2 Speed in contract to IntelliFlo VS-3050 with SVRS.
Filter: S220T Sand to Tagelus TA-100D
Heater: H250FDN to MasterTemp 250HD
Remote: Aquapod AQL2-POD to Wireless Control Panel 520547

Mike

PoolGuyNJ said:
You might want to consider upping the heater size. It will take the same amount of gas to get the job done but it will get done quite a bit faster.

Kevin, They are going with EasyTouch. I'm sure that was just a brain fault.

Scott

I missed that forsome reason..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.