Indoor Pool for Son

Apr 28, 2010
My son was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
With this disease swimming is the most non invasive form of exercise he can get, so I have started researching building an indoor pool for year round swimming. I am finding out pretty quick that I don't have the knowledge to do this on my own. I thought it would be a simple matter of building then attaching the enclosed pool to the house. Then I found out about humidity/potential year round chlorine exposure, or smell/roofs falling in/some not getting warranty for indoor pool/cost to heat and dehumidify/gunite or concreate or vinyl, etc, etc, etc. Every step I take forward I find out later I hadn't thought of something I need to know. So I guess what I am asking for is help building a list of everything I need to consider so when I do my research I can focus on cost and not what I may have missed. I appreciate any information you guys can give me.

Welcome to TFP!

What kind of climate do you have? That can make a difference in planning.

As you've found, ventilation is key with an indoor pool.

There are a lot of options. Fully enclosed, inflatable dome, sliding glass structures etc..

Do you have a pool size in mind? There are swim spas and other small fiberglass pools that work well indoors, as well as just about any conventional pool construction.

You will want a ramp or beach style entry/exit with a 1 inch drop for every 1 foot of length, with a safty rail along one side. Steps and ladders require a lot of energy and you will want him to be able to conserve his energy to get the most benefit from the therautic pool. You don't want to rely on mechanical lifts to move him in and out of the pool if he becomes wheelchair dependent. You may want to check with the your local municipality to see if they have any building codes/requirements for your project and you can also check with any rehab centers that have indoor pools and see who constructed their pools and ask if they have had any of the structural problems you cited. Finally check with your insurance carrier and see if the pool will cause any significant changes to your coverage.

What region do you live in? That will help us figure out your best options for heating.

I was thinking 18x36. Maybe gunite so I can fully drain it to clean, depends on how much everything else costs.
I live in central Arkansas. Very hot humid summers. Outdoor pools are typically open June through September give or
take a month depending on the year. Very little snow. We had 4 inches this year which was above average.

Terabull said:
I was thinking 18x36. Maybe gunite so I can fully drain it to clean, depends on how much everything else costs.
I live in central Arkansas. Very hot humid summers. Outdoor pools are typically open June through September give or
take a month depending on the year. Very little snow. We had 4 inches this year which was above average.

Less than 5 minutes after you posted this, I went to our local paper's web site and found this story on the front page: http://gcdailyworld.com/story/1698197.html
I'd never heard of the disease before this morning.

It's rarely necessary to ever drain a pool, and even a gunite pool can be damaged by draining. I would talk to the builders in your area about shell construction. You may find that you are limited by builder experience.

Here's a thread about domes and removable shelters. Domes These can be removed during warm weather for outdoor swimming. These are similar to the blower inflated domes that cover indoor stadiums. ventilation isn't near the problem with these since there are no construction materials to worry about and you can just open a door or vent to cycle the air.

Terabull said:
We had never heard of it either.
I would rather have a permanent structure instead of a dome.
I didn't know gunite can be damaged by draining.

The problem with draining any pool is ground water. A pool is just a boat full of water, and if you empty it, it wants to float, even one made out of concrete. That's not to say you can't do it, just that you need to be aware of the situation when you do.

Even then, it's rarely necessary to drain a pool except for structural repairs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.